1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy Rollins: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whitaker deserved much more consideration than he got, in my opinion. He was 1/2 of the best double-play combination I ever saw. And his hitting in an era of weak-hitting second basemen was great. He fell short of the Hall of Fame, in my opinion, but man was he a good baseball player -- made even better by the fact that he just seemed likable. If there was a Hall of Fame for playing the game beautifully, he would have been been in the first class. Everything he did in the field and at the plate just looked graceful.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, eye test is enough for me. Bobby Grivh was a solid 10- to 15-year major leaguer. Nothing more. Jimmy Rollins, the same. Lou Whitaker, the same.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Alan Trammel also deserved better from the voters.

4. jr/shotglass

Thank you.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1981 was a strike year. Bobby Grich, a second baseman, led the American League with 22 home runs and a .543 slugging percentage. He had a .921 OPS, second only to Dwight Evans (.937). He slashed .304/.378/.543.

He finished 14th (!) in the MVP voting.

Here are some of the hitters who finished ahead of him, with their slash lines:

Rickey Henderson .319/.408/.437 (56 SBs) (legit)
    Dwight Evans .296/.415/.522 (legit)
    Tony Armas .261/.294/.480 (LOL)
    Eddie Murray .294/.360/.534 (LOL)
    Carney Lansford .336/.389/.439 (LOL)
    Dave Winfield .294/.360/.464 (LOL)
    Cecil Cooper .320/.363/.495 (LOL)
    Tom Paciorek .326/.379/.509 (LOL)
    Dwayne Murphy .251/.369/.408 (Double LOL)
    Kirk Gibson .328/.369/.479 (LOL)

6. Dick Whitman

I love that jr/shotglass "liked" this post. LOL.

YankeeFan and jr/shotglass like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

Dwight Evans, the same.

8. Dick Whitman

What does the eye test tell you about Bobby Grich that counteracts the fact that he got on base and hit for extra bases at a rate 25 percent better than his peers over the course of his 17-year major league career?

9. jr/shotglass

Here's a tip. Don't look for reasons to put someone in Cooperstown. Look for reasons not to. The HOF isn't supposed to be easy.

10. Dick Whitman

What does the eye test tell you about Bobby Grich that counteracts the fact that he got on base and hit for extra bases at a rate 25 percent better than his peers over the course of his 17-year major league career?

11. jr/shotglass

Copy and paste does not make your point, counselor.

Hey, what about Brady Anderson? He hit 50 homers once!

12. Dick Whitman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.