1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy Rollins: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If we can't trust those 20/20 eyes of writers from the 70's and 80's what can we trust? A lot of the same writers that have shown themselves to be fools over the last 15 years.

The same writers who thought wins and RBI were great measures to judge players on.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The number of fools in any trade remains remarkably constant generation through generation. When I had my Hall vote, I voted for Raines annually. Grich was off the ballot before I got a chance, but I would not have voted for him. JC is approaching the ultimate ideal of some baseball followers here -- making watching the games irrelevant.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OPS-plus isn't "random." It isn't perfect, either. But it is thumbnail measure of a hitter's ability to: (1) Get on base; and (2) Hit for extra bases. The two most important components of scoring runs in baseball. OPS-plus normalizes it across eras.

But you're right. It's more important to ask Murray Chass and Roger Angell about their 40-year-old memories.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Arrogance is not the sole province of old baseball writers, one sees.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He doesn't pass my eye test. I didn't see him play in person

6. Dick Whitman

Perhaps.

But knowledge in given areas increases over time, building atop what was done before.

Doctors used to bleed patients to cure diseases. They were wrong. They didn't know any better yet.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not even close to what I said. But I'm glad you were able to watch every game back in the day.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. Dick Whitman

Bobby Grich got on base and hit for extra bases at a 25 percent better rate than other players in his era.

I would like to know what people's eyes saw that outweighs this fact. Did umpires call him safe many times when he should have been called out?

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Lou Whitaker had very comparable numbers to Grich (slightly lower OPS+, slightly higher WAR), including the fact both received less than 3% of the vote in their initial HOF eligible year. Unconscionable, and I'm an old guy who likes a combo of eye test (for those I watched) and statistics.

Guy_Incognito and JC like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's very tiresome to hear arguments being made for non-superstars regarding the Hall of Fame. And that includes guys who were superstars for about three seasons during their prime.

Stop cheapening Cooperstown. Although that threshold may already have been passed.

11. Dick Whitman

What is the argument against Bobby Grich?

(I'm like you, though. I miss the days when even a Ross Youngs had to sweat it out for a few years.)

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Eye test

jr/shotglass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.