1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy Fallon to host, Lorne Michaels to produce Oscars for...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Aug 2, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...ABC?

Word around Hollywood today is that's the pairing that AMPAS is going with.

Not very impressed. Just give the gig to Justin Timberlake for Chrissakes.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

ABC has raised objections to having the late-night star from rival NBC play emcee on its Oscar broadcast, these people said, but the network has no authority to veto the choice of host.

The show is put on by the Motion Picture Academy, and Tom Sherak initiated the discussions before his term as academy president ended on Tuesday, according to the people who were not authorized to speak publicly.

A spokeswoman for the academy denied that talks with Fallon and Michaels were taking place. Representatives for Fallon could not immediately be reached for comment.

ABC is owned by Disney, and Disney chief executive Bob Iger is said to be unhappy with the idea of showcasing Fallon, whose show competes with ABC's late-night show featuring Jimmy Kimmel. Fallon and Kimmel are in a neck-and-neck competition for viewers.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-jimmy-fallon-in-talks-to-host-2013-oscars-lorne-michaels-to-produce-20120802,0,4299677.story

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - that wasn't going to happen.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why can't Kimmel just do it?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My guess is that the AMPAS gets to choose its host, not the network. Something I'm sure will change during the next contract negotiation if they go ahead with Fallon.

That said, I think Fallon would probably do a pretty good job.

6. LongTimeListener

Kimmel would be tons better than Fallon.

7. bigpern23

Fallon can add the musical element that the AMPAS loves. I could see him doing a song-and-dance routine, a la Billy Crystal (well, song, at least).

I'd also bet Kimmel scares the AMPAS more than Fallon. I haven't watched him in a few years, so maybe he's lost some of his edge on ABC, but I could see the AMPAS worrying he'd mock the stars too much. I think of Fallon's comedy being a little broader and more vanilla.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Neil Patrick Harris should host it.

9. LongTimeListener

And since it's on a Sunday, Chick-fil-A folks can watch!

10. bigpern23

I agree with this, wholeheartedly. The only rationale I've heard against him so far has been that he's a TV star, not a movie star (and I think that's a legitimate argument). But if you're going to bring Fallon into the mix, NPH is clearly a superior choice.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

What, you didn't like "Taxi"?

Fallon was really, really good doing the Emmys a few years ago. But there's a pretty substantial step up in pressure from the Emmys to the Oscars, so we'll see how it goes.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure Johnny Carson hosted for many years, but Mr. Kimmell, you are no Johnny Carson.

Draft saved Draft deleted