1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy B vs. Andy Katz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So was Player Y Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh?

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Anthony was the first one I thought of.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This kind of stuff happens all the time, particularly when it comes to people who cover the beat day-in and day-out. I think it happens far more than the reading public would ever come close to realizing. With some exceptions out there, coaches mostly think that we know more than we actually do, not less.

I remember one April, pulling aside my team's pitching coach. Someone had thrown 120 pitches or so in an early start, and I asked if he was worried about that work load that early.

"Are you?" he asked me. And he meant it.

I remember, for some reason, Orel Hershiser politely declined to explain to me some mechanical adjustment that one of his guys had made. It wasn't because he didn't think I'd understand. It was because he was afraid that I would.

When it comes down to it, coaches and managers are just guys who like to talk ball with other people who like to talk ball.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They are the only players who fit the description of one-and-dones who became regular All-Stars over the past decade.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Someone in this profession" thinks the reporters could ask better questions of the losing coaches. Or, if you want to point out flaws and perceived coaching mistakes right after a loss, you can't be surprised -- or offended -- if a coach doesn't receive it well. Thick skin, anyone?

Double Down said it a lot better than me in his post. But that's what I believe, too.

Why is Belichick so tight-lipped after a loss? Because he doesn't feel the need to explain himself to someone who isn't inside the game. That's a disservice to the fans in one regard, but I also figure that Belichick is wrapped so tight that he's keeping a lid on his temper.

I don't have to agree with a coach's mindset. But I understand their viewpoints about dealing with the media. We are not without our flaws, either.

6. Dick Whitman

So you're walking this back?

If a coach fucks up, he's the first to know it. Why rub his nose in it? The real experts are playing and coaching the games.

Because this wasn't indicating that you thought questions should be better constructed. Or that writers should expect backlash. This was indicating that you don't think the questions should be asked at all. Because coaches, well, are fucking awesome.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yup.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was Bosh.

9. Riptide

I agree with what Cosmo said. Ask: "What happened on that play?"

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nice. It's too bad you can't give away who the other guy was, but it's interesting making those types of comparisons.

11. Dick Whitman

How is that different than this:

Boeheim, 68, also lectured a reporter because he asked if injured player DaJuan Coleman would have helped slow down a Marquette scoring outburst by Davante Gardner.

"You should try coaching because that's what you think you are," Boeheim said. "Maybe you should try that."

"Any more coaches here?" he went on to ask the room. "Want to ask another coaching question? I'd be happy to take it. I've only been doing this 37 years, I'm sure you've got more ideas of who we should play or we shouldn't play or who should lead? What do I know?"

"Any more ideas for me guys? I think you ought to know by now if you start asking me those questions, I just laugh at you. That's all I'll do."

12. Riptide

If you don't see it, I guess you should keep looking at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted