1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmie Thing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I'll never tell, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

NASCAR overreacted when Matt Kenseth won a Cup championship under the old format with one win and one DNF. That brought the Chase to NASCAR. Fans and the media are getting tired of Jimmie Johnson winning all the time, but in my opinion, they shouldn't have messed with the old system. There have been plenty of good points races with the old system. With JJ winning five in a row, the Chase has become stale.
    In answer to your question, yes, NASCAR is grasping at straws. But it isn't the first time NASCAR has been this desperate. Just wait until they figure out how to get Danica Patrick in the winner's circle.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The funny thing about the contrived Chase is how NASCAR limits it to the Cup series. If it's so great, why not implement it in the Nationwide Series, where the champion in recent years wins by hundreds of points? To me, NASCAR made a huge mistake in going to the Chase format. Don't like a driver winning the title after winning just one race? Keep the old system and add 25 points for a race win.
    As for Danica, I'm sure Brain France has a plan in place. My guess is any driver weighing more than 105 pounds starts out the race five laps behind. That should give Danica a fighting chance. ;D

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

As for Danica getting a five-lap advantage, only if Robby Gordon is in the race. Tony Stewart might want to jump on that weight disadvantage bandwagon too.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That would be a great question to ask France at media day or whenever he has a presser.

Draft saved Draft deleted