1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Thome Statue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

This is a thread to talk about Jim Thome

An observation, it's interesting that he's putting up almost the same stats (when he plays) as the guy who is 10 years younger than him that replaced him in Philly:

Thome: .254/.359/.497
    Howard: .257/.344/.495

Ryan Howard is still a good slugger but I wonder if he can keep this up for 10 more years as Thome did. He seems to be getting worse.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Re: Jim Thome

If he hadn't been an SportsJournalists.com member since 2005, I'd be absolutely convinced Manky is Ilmago incarnate.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You do know Ryan Howard posts here right? He's going to be awfully upset at you.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This might out me (probably not), but I was covering the Twins-Indians series at Progressive Field last weekend. Two hours before the game, like clockwork, Jim Thome is behind the dugout in an area set up for hitting into a net smacking balls off a tee into a net over, and over, and over, and over. I would say he was hitting off the tee for a half hour at least before batting practice. Thome is one of the hardest-working players I have ever seen and I was actually pleased to see some of the Cleveland fans give him some love (the boos outnumbered the cheers, but you could at least hear some cheering). I would love to see Thome end his career in Cleveland. He is a hall of famer, no doubt, in my book.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In case the thread title wasn't indication enough.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But I want to talk about the merits of 'Jetes'!

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would quit my Indians "fandom" forever if that happened.

8. OklahomaSports

OklahomaSports New Member

Even the notion that this guy is not a first time HOFer disgusts me. He's clean, an amazing talent, and a consumate professional. I can honestly say that over his 20 year (or so) career, last night was probably the first time that I had ever heard his voice. He's a guy that gets in eventually with 500. But 6? Into a club that has just 4 other clean guys? No question.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why? Do you not like him or something?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's third on my list behind Modell and Belichick. Well, fourth. Elway.

PEOPLE I HATE AND WOULD REJOICE WHEN THEY LEAVE THE MORTAL COIL, to clarify. Before someone asks who my fifth is on my "list of five."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do you know he's clean?

I think he is but there's no way to know if anybody is clean.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Does this have anything to do with the "They will have to rip this jersey off my back" quote? That was a long time ago. I think even Albert Belle would get some cheers if he came back. Indians fans are reminicing about those glory days lately and, damn, it's hard to believe Progressive Field is going to be 20 years old in a couple.

Draft saved Draft deleted