1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim, St. Peter has it 7 rounds to 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, May 11, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nicely done on the headline.

RIP.

Chef2 and Vombatus like this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well said by Lampley in the piece.

"It was one of the greatest privileges of my broadcasting career to work with Harold Lederman, whose unique humanity and lifelong love of boxing brought joy to the hearts of millions of fans, show after show after show," Lampley said. "They waited for his moments, they were thrilled by his insights, they gloried in imitating his voice. No one in the sport had more friends, because no one in the sport was more deserving of friends.

"As deeply saddened as I am by his passing, I am equally deeply joyful that he made it to the final bell on Dec. 8. Nothing was more important to the legacy of HBO Boxing, so in that we can all take solace. Now his scorecard is complete."

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nobody on TV scored fights better than Lederman (although Al Bernstein in his ESPN Top Rank days was a close second) and his by-play with the on-air crew was always great, especially his throwback to Lampley "JIM!!!!". I will never hear the terms "effective aggressiveness" and ring generalship" without thinking of the Fighting Pharmacist, as Lampley occasionally called him.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Super nice guy, generous with his time.

I met him several years ago and I had to bone to pick with him about an old scorecard he had when he was judging. We chatted about the particular fight for about an hour and eventually he said "you know, we live about three hours apart, here's my number and if we're even in town together we could watch the fight again and I'll tell you what I saw that night". Sadly that never happened but I wish it would have. Great man. His daughter, Julie, is an excellent fight judge.

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted