1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Nantz on Tiger Woods....Change? What Change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Apr 13, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How was Arnie with the public and press besides the more than occassional profanity on the course?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I understand that Junkie, but not all athletes are the same. I can't tell you or Lugnuts what should and should not offend you, that's personal but this, to me, is so overblown and amounts to piling on. Tiger is a world class asshole, we all know that, but dropping an F-bomb or throwing a club does not add to that IMO. That stuff just doesn't offend me.

He is at this point best off not sayin a damn word in interviews and just going out to play golf. He was an idiot for saying he'd change who he was on the golf course.He should work on changing who he is off the course, not on it as who he is on it has been damn successful.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Of all the criticisms, most of them deserved, directed at Tiger, being upset about his "I didn't win so it wasn't successful" comments, which he's made literally since he turned pro, seem like the strangest. In what other sport would we all but demand that an athlete who didn't win say that he was happy with losing? Should Manning have said he wasn't disappointed after the Super Bowl? If the Lakers fall short this year, will Kobe be criticized if he says the season wasn't a success because they didn't win it all? If he says he's upset about losing, is that an insult to the rest of the NBA? What?

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

JC nailed it ... just piling on. This guy is going face this kind of scrutiny wherever he goes from now on, or at least until he wins as many tournaments as he did in 2008. And I hope when he does start winning, he gives a big F-U (literally, into the microphone stuck in his face) to all the people who came out and criticized him.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The media looked the other way in the Jack-Arnie heyday, and anxthing that happened before No. 14 on TV events was a mere rumor. We'll never be able to say 100 percent who was naughty or nice back then

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well said Luggie...

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Tiger's in a no-win there -- act like he did and he gets criticized; say he was happy with losing and he'd get criticized.

That being said, it would be nice if he didn't act like a spoiled teenager on the course.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tough to change who you are, when you've always acted like a spoiled teenager...

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So you wouldn't let your 8 year old watch any sports then.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't regret watching Mickey Mantle when I was a kid.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In fact, he's made you the drinking philanderer you are today

Draft saved Draft deleted