1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Nantz on Tiger Woods....Change? What Change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All I know is, Nantz has no room to talk condescendingly about temperance, entitlement or turpitude. And I'm of the camp that doesn't really care about Tiger Woods other than how he does on a golf course; anything else is between him and Elin.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Bless you, sir! (I trust you were speaking euphemistically when you say Tiger is a killer.) Bless you!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The thread begs another question ... with all cameras and recorders on Tiger after he vowed to do everything short of install a V-chip (ala Cartman in the South Park movie), do we know that none of the other players utter an occasional vile oath when a shot goes bad?

Or is it the TMZ's of the world that's forcing the sports media to monitor Tiger's every movement 24/7/365? If so, we're in deep trouble.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Nantz speaks from experience. He too changed his ways, cleaned up the potty mouth. No one remembers the '91 Masters? He opened it with his traditional opening: "Hello, fuckers."

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I laughed at that?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

And then there was #8 or 9, the British TV host, who was used just for the British Open... Tiger had sex during a major. I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

It's really interesting to me how some people are bothered by this. The only thing I can think of is that some people like to "compartmentalize": Work, sex, money, competition.... and never the twain shall meet. And I guess you're thinking that Tiger would most certainly abstain when chasing a major?? But you should know there's a whole segment of the population that doesn't think that way. We mix and match.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

To me, the moralizers are just sore that Tiger went out and contended in his first tournament since the golf world changed. Some of these people, I swear, think Tiger crashed a plane into the wall at St. Andrew's.
    Let he who has had a high-tech microphone within earshot of every swing for 15 years and never dropped a dirty word cast the first stone.
    And Nantz looks every bit the whiny ass that Joe Buck did in his Randy Moss meltdown.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This debacle has inspired some truly God awful sermonizing.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Go fuck yourself Augusta.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The "I couldn't say that" comment is weird because there are about 656 things that have happened during sporting events that Jim Nantz would not be allowed to do on CBS, yet as far as I know he's never called attention to them. For instance, if during a college basketball game, a brawl erupts because one player punched another, Jim Nantz would not be allowed to punch Clark Kellogg in the face. He'd be fired. And he'd be charged with assault, though I think most juries - assuming they're populated by college basketball fans - would probably acquit in this particular case.

In two different SI stories this week, the phrase morality play is used in a Masters story, and Joslyn James is again quoted. Agh. The woman gets quoted more often than Larry Sabato and Robert Thompson.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whenever the phrase "morality play" appears in a sports story, it is a deadly tell the reader will encounter bad writing and worse thinking.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

She looks better than either of them in a green jacket.

Draft saved Draft deleted