1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Murray ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One of the great hardy-perennial threads . . . always worthwhile, exposing the nippers to greatness . . . while reminding everyone else of what's possible, if you have the background knowledge, and the knack.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Another great Murray story. . .

He's one of the honorary pallbearers at Ben Hogan's funeral in July 1997. In the limo riding to the funeral is Dan Jenkins and Sam Snead, among others.

Snead, who could give Sergio whining lessons, is going off about Hogan getting all this ink and all this love for winning one of the Masters he beat Snead in. At the same time, he's wondering why he didn't get the amount of love Hogan did, despite winning all those majors.

After listening to this for a few moments, Murray had had enough.

"Jesus Christ, Sam. The guy's dead. Could you give the martyr routine a rest for just a LITTLE WHILE..."

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Another great Murray line, from the Indy 500: "Gentlemen, start your coffins."

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The greatest....

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"But a race horse has to act like he's double-parked. He gets only months to prove he has been here."

Damn that's good sheet.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... That's just tremendous...

8. I call bullshit on this one.
    I don't believe it.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Call it all you want. Heard it from two sources who heard it from Murray himself.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Murray would tell the Snead Story. It was on instant recall.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Story is true.

12. I don't care if Dan Jenkins - the Hogan worshipping, sports writing hack that he is ;) - told me it was true.
    I would grab him by his wrinkly old gobbler neck and Texas two-step his ass back to Bugtussle, hollering 'Bullshit' in his good ear!

I know Snead had his faults, but having read a lot about him, interviewed him and talked with others about him, I really don't (want to) believe the story to be true.

I just can't swallow that story. Even if you did hear if from two other sources who heard it from a guy who was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted