1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Murray

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Sep 26, 2006.

1. I was raised on this guy, reading him from the age of 5, not knowing a word he was saying, until I was 14. Can someone help me find his last column? I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Strange...I thought that column ran on the day he died--the 16th, according to his bio--but that column is dated the 22nd.

Doesn't matter, just odd.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Couldn't find Murray's finale, but I never really need an excuse to go read his stuff again. Anyway, found <a href="http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n35_v222/ai_21082928">this Murray obit</a> written by our own D. Kindred that's worth a read. Thought I'd share.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The column did run on the day of his death, which was Aug. 16, 1998, a Sunday.

I, too, grew up reading Murray in Southern California and never missed him. His writing was great then. It's still great today. And will be for many years and decades to come.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I liked the column, but at the end he used ironically in a way that doesn't seem to be appropriate. McCarron rode a horse that won the Pacific Classic, beating another horse McCarron rode to victory at Belmont.

How is that ironic?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Poor guy is being posthumously copy edited.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why I didn't sleep well tonight.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I have a hard copy of Murray's finale. I have a special section put out by the Times about Murray. I have an autographed Jim Murray book. I also attended a memorial service for him at Dodger Stadium. Guest speakers? Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Al Michaels, Jerry West, Ann Meyers Drysdale, Chris McCarron and Al Davis.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I met Murray very early in my career. A mentor of mine knew him and introduced me and we had about a five-minute conversation. He was incredibly gracious and you could not have slapped the smile off my face.

I grew up reading him. If he's not the best ever, he's in the top five.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe Mizzou will recall this, wasn't there a story (recently?) about Murray's widow auctioning his typewriter and other memorabliia?

Did we ever find out who bought it?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard that Reilly, who worked with Murray in LA, put a bid in on it. I don't know if he won it...

Draft saved Draft deleted