1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Kaat's last telecast: Friday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

NYSportsJournalists.com would no doubt be interested to know Kaat retires tomorrow (and hey, he pitched for the Cardinals, so this is relevant to those looooosers at dooley.com STLSportsJournalists.com).

Appropriately enough, he's departing with no fanfare. But he's as good an announcer as there is, all substance, no style and an ability to break the game down without making you feel six years old (hello Boomer Esiason), and he's made many a Yankee game listenable over the years.

Not sure what's more difficult to believe: That he turns 68 this November or that he's been in baseball for FIFTY YEARS.

Hopefully he ends up as retired as Ralph Kiner and continues to make some appearances on YES telecasts.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love the fact that BYH's post got me a bunch of Cardinals' ads.

CARDS GEAR! Jim Edmonds!

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Let's not forget Kaat pitched for the Minnesota Twins (1965 World Series) and is a former Twins broadcaster. I always enjoyed listening to his commentary.

Hope he enjoys his retirement!

4. KP

KP Active Member

And YES broadcasts are going to be 10 times worse to take.
    SEE YA

Kaat was the only one worth listening to.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Will he also wish all of the dads out there a Happy Birthday on Father's Day, like Ralph Kiner?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He was the winning pitcher in the first Cleveland Indians game I ever saw, back in 1962. Gary Bell was the loser.

Class act, all the way. Incredible fielder. Twenty more wins and he'd be an HOFer.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I miss Kaat on the national broadcasts. Not as much as I miss Tony Kubek, but I miss him nonetheless. I hope he enjoys retirement.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't know the Yankees traded him to the Cardinals in 1980 ... at the age of 42 ... and he pitched 4 seasons for them and won a ring in '82!

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I remember getting Jim Kaat's 1983 Topps card and being absolutely astonished to see he started his career in 1959.

1959. That seemed like ancient times for a nine year old back in '83.

Congratulations to the former Reds pitching coach. May his post-baseball life be as long and fulfilling as his life in the game.

10. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

trivia alert...Kaat is a single digit hcap golfer. Left-handed AND Right-Handed.

...and somebody mentioned the beloved Kiner. Ralph was doing a rare Met game last week. He told a story about an old Pittsburgh coach. How old? Said coach made his MLB debut in 1897. Honus Wagner. Wow, it's 2006 and I'm listening to one HOF'er directly reference another HOF'er who began playing in the majors 109 years ago.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

May I also add my feelings of respect and admiration for Jim Kaat and I will echo what KP wrote, that he was the sole reason for listening to YES broadcasts. A professional all the way, he didn't rely on schtick or silliness and wasn't afraid to be critical of the boss on occasion. It tells me something that on a free wheeling and caustic board like this one, there hasn't been a negative word written about him on this thread.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Jim Kaat might have been the best analyst in New York.

Draft saved Draft deleted