1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Joyce is the man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The game's best umpire. And, yeah, he missed a call on the 27th out of a perfect game. And it tore him up -- and probably still does every day.

Whatever.

Here's something bigger. He saved the life of a worker at Chase Field by performing CPR.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120821&content_id=37090842&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Incredible human being. Always was, still is.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That. Is. Awesome.
    Obviously, I don't know the man personally, but Jim Joyce seems like a true class act. The way he handled the aftermath of the Galarraga debacle was pitch-perfect. And this ... this is something else. Right person, right time.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Agree on everything on Joyce. And for the assholes who continue to rip the guy after what happened with the Galarraga near no-hitter (fans basically), if this doesn't shut them up and start giving him due respect, nothing will.

Joyce was stand-up then after his mistake and stand-up today.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I've dealt with a lot of umpires after controversial calls. Almost all of them will talk to a pool print reporter with no video allowed, and they almost always say the same thing: "I made the call that I thought was right."

Jim Joyce, after making a mistake that was much worse than any other I've covered, didn't demand a pool reporter, didn't only give one canned answer and didn't dance around the issue of what he had done. In my 20-plus years in the business, it remains the most memorable interview I've ever done. There's not a close second.

Great umpire. Better person.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed with all of the above. And to the newsreader on one sportstalk story who found this strange and had to bring up the blown call twice in his report, there's clues for sale at Melky Cabrera's website.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is one hell of a Sportsman Of the Year story to be written about that guy.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jim Joyce's tears could cure cancer. Too bad Jim Joyce never cries.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The beat on Stayin' Alive is what you try and match for compressions. Underwent training a few months back. And the mouth to mouth thing isn't taught any more.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I kept the Sports Illustrated issue the week after Joyce's botched call. Few sports stories moved me the way that one did. 99.9 percent of umpires/officials/referees either hide or come up with a lame excuse when they blow a call. Joyce manned up.

He's an awesome dude, and what he did at Chase confirms that. He's moving up my list of "People I'd love to have a beer with."

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He made a tremendous amount of baseball fans after the perfect game incident.

He has now made a tremendous amount of fans who couldn't care less about baseball.

A tip of the hat to you sir.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thought this follow-up was pretty good too....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5993137

Draft saved Draft deleted