1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Healy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 22, 2014.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The LA sports radio icon died 20 years ago today. Bill Dwyre wrote a nice piece in the LAT this morning.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-jim-healy-dwyre-20140722-column.html

For those not from LA, or too young to remember, before there was so much blathering sports talk radio, Healy did a daily 30-minute sportscast that relied heavily on sound bites, many of which became catchphrases in the region.

He was the first to air Tommy Lasorda's classic "What's your opinion of Kingman's performance" rant.

Here are some clips

http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/healybytes.html

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I still miss those Healy shows.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Only slightly related, but "What's your opinion of Kingman's performance?" is a great question by Paul Olden.

Open-ended, neutral, elicited a GREAT answer.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In today's world someone would have written that Lasorda should have kept it to himself.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was a fun time, listening to Healy.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When Healy would take days off, his fill in was usually Dave McClelland, voice of the National Hot Rod Association, who did a straight sports report.

I went to college with Dave's son and told him I clicked off the show whenever his dad hosted.

When Dave showed up at an event I introduced as "MTM, who turns off the radio whenever you fill in for Healy."

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jim Healy was an everyday listen for me growing up in SoCal. Laughed all the time, right up and through the dreaded 6 o'clock tone.

Draft saved Draft deleted