1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Bowden retained

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

On his way out of the booth, Kasten said there could be more big news this weekend.
    Hey Frank, I hope you're packed.

Who is Bowden's boy in this? Davey Johnson?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I got the idea Davey was pretty content in retirement, but who knows? Maybe he'd like to come back to Washington and put the screws to Angelos.

I can't believe Bowden got retained. Dude's got more lives than a cat.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Personally I hope it's Dusty Baker.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They hired Davey a while back as a "consultant" without any clear duty that I know of though I'm sure there's some somewhere.

Probably managing, starting next week.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

But that Cristian Guzman signing sure was a good one ...

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Are you sure it's not "detained?"

7. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

Sorry, Moddy, but if this means they're choosing Bowden over Robby, they have indeed chosen unwisely.

Bowden was the golden boy in Cincinnati in the first few years of his tenure, but the honeymoon was over when people started to realize that more of his so-called brilliant moves went bust than didn't. It sounds like he's been in DC long enough for the honeymoon period to end there, too.

Bowden hired Bobby Valentine and Bob Boone as "consultants" to lurk in the tall grass when Jack McKeon was the manager (seems like Davey Johnson might have been one, too), and everyone assumed they were his boys and potential skippers-in-waiting. Sure enough, after the Reds lost a wild-card playoff in '99 then "slipped" to 85-77 in 2000, McKeon was shitcanned and Boone was hired. Couple that with a do-nothing owner, and the Reds haven't seen a pennant race since. (Until perhaps now.)

Add to this the fact that he never met a microphone he didn't like (he even had a weekly radio show, which as far as I know no Cincy GM has had before or since) and that he absolutely fixated on certain players (Deion Sanders, rag-arm Jimmy Haynes and legendary clubhouse cancer Jose Guillen come to mind). I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but Robby deserves far better after paddling this rudderless ship as long as he has. And Bowden deserves an Oscar for pulling the wool over Kasten's eyes.

As a lifelong Reds fan, I wish Bowden a speedy trip to the unemployment and offer you my condolences and a hearty "hang with 'em."

Draft saved Draft deleted