1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Bowden retained

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Nats are announcing tonight that they are keeping Bowden under the new ownership group.

I'm simply stunned.

He signed a DH to play in the NL.
    He did not sign a backup catcher.
    He brought in damaged goods in Brian Lawrence.

I could go on and on and on. Lou Merloni, I know you and I are on the same page on this one.

I figure Frank is gone at the all-star break.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, you're really going to be an ornery bastard now. :D

You could have also added "Acquired a second baseman to play left field," but I guess that move looks good now that Soriano is having a big year.

And he did sign a backup catcher. He just thought it was 2001 again when he signed LeCroy and Fick.

Any chance this is just a through-the-end-of-the-season thing? Did they announce the terms of the deal? I'd figure he was a goner just for his recent arrest and his white trash tendencies.

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

To be fair, Vinny Castilla isn't excatly lighting up the National League. He was/is pretty damaged. Of course, Not to the extent that Lawerence is. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you could have him back for a 6-pack of Natty Ice.

4. Moderator1

I have shit to do but I'm glued to the TV now waiting to hear what Stan Kasten has to say.  They're bringing him on.

Forgot about that 2B thing.  And the guy hasn't had a hit in about a month, let alone a home run.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I can see the Moddy mushroom cloud all the way from my vantage point.

Bowden sucks.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So in other words he's the Nats version of the Pirates' Bay, unbelievable numbers at the end of May, but hasn't done shit since then.

7. Moderator1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063001389.html

Next question: How do you clean barf off your keyboard?

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He has tremendous potential, though.

9. Moderator1

"We hope he'll be there for a very long time."
    That's what Kasten just said.

Said he came in a long time friend and fan of his work under some other difficult circumstances.

Called him smart, analytical, resourceful.

His ideas are very close to mine, Kasten said, I think together we can get this done.

Barf is on the rug, too.

10. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

kasten -- in my mind -- is a bigger idiot than bowden.

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Someone call 911, I think Moddy just had a heartattack.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kasten and Bowden refused to discuss the terms or length of his contract, and both declined to comment on the future for Manager Frank Robinson.

Hey Frank, hope you're renting.

Draft saved Draft deleted