1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Armstrong Out at Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 5, 2011.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't read the Post a lot anymore but I think Armstrong was the third columnist along with Paige and Mark (?). When Dave Kreiger brought his column over from the RMN Armstrong was bumped over to the Rockies.

And the Post has just announced about 15-20 people in the newsroom will go. So this incident pops up. Somebody has to go anyway. One of the bigger salaries departs and management can take a stern stand on journalistic ethics.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Somebody on here who works there PM'd me and said the popular feeling in the newsroom is that they saw an opportunity to get rid of a big salary and they jumped at it.

Same person said you'd be hard-pressed to find someone on staff who thought he deserved to be fired.

3. Mizzougrad96

I doubt he was considered ahead of Krieger. Armstrong was more of a notes columnist, but it looks like he was helping cover the Rockies lately.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Armstrong was doing the Saturday notes column up until January 2010 -- nearly a year after the Rocky closed and Krieger arrived -- when it went away when he went onto the Rockies beat with Troy Renck.

5. I don't doubt there were some in the press box who loved him, Mizzou. But I have to disagree with your assessment of "great guy" who always had a crowd around him. His daily withering tirades about his wife were cringe-inducing, and caused just as many people to try to escape his orbit in the press box as perhaps he brought in.

That said, there's no joy in seeing him go, and hope that he lands on his feet somewhere.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Do you think the Post will add a second writer on the Rockies beat or just keep the position vacant?

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure you knew him better than I did.
    They have a round of buyouts coming (may even be current) for people over a certain age and if they don't get enough takers, layoffs are likely. I'd be surprised if they replaced him.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No matter how widespread sportswriter betting is, it's an ethical problem. No trust from readers or bosses that coverage won't be shaded to assist the writer's wagers. Can't say, "Just judge the content" because you never know what wasn't written vs. what was. Also writers shouldn't have financial gain/loss tied to teams they cover. Stakes aren't as high and impact not as great but it's a form of insider trading.

In these PC times, though, I'm surprised that someone wouldn't volunteer for a stint in Gambler's Anonymous and seek protection of claiming its an illness. Make it much harder for an employer to drop ax on employee.

9. Mizzougrad96

That might be a harder sell than alcohol or drug addiction.

10. If you ever find yourself being called into one of those meetings where you are asked to bring your laptop - as soon as you get in the door yell, "I'm gay and this company makes me feel uncomfortable!" Not only will you probably not get let go - you might get a raise.

Sadly - I'm not even kidding.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Know of someone who beat a plagiarism rap with the alcoholism defense.

Never mind that in the old-school newsrooms, there was no such thing. Just lots of bottles of scotch in editors' desk drawers.

12. Mizzougrad96

I know of a guy who "fell" down the stairs intentionally after someone tipped him off that he was going to be let go in one of the Gannett purges. He went on workman's comp for a couple months and they didn't let him go. This was three years ago and he's still there.

Draft saved Draft deleted