1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jill Abramson’s First Task: Stop the Times Defections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting that with all of the layoffs in the industry, the Times biggest problem is retaining their top journalists.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

only way to possibly win the battle with defections is to SHOW EMPLOYEES THE MONEY, which goes against everything every paper in the country has been doing, well, forever. the times is learning they're as vulnerable as everyone else now that there are new forms of media with deep pockets willing to shell it out.

nothing else she can do. what, she's gonna give everyone on the staff a hug and make em feel warm and fuzzy and appreciated by telling 'em how invaluable they are? uh-uh. saying retaining the staff is priority one is just political lip service.

until we hear that a bunch of prominent and/or younger phenoms on the rise are being treated to significant bumps in salary, the new queen of the times is full of spit.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Dear Jill,
    Welcome to the problem of every other media company for the last 150 years.
    fishwrapper

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One would think that an ambitious editor of the Times would welcome the opportunity to locate and promote or hire talented young reporters who would be the stars of the paper's next decade or so. I mean, if someone wants to leave a daily for a gig at the New Yorker, there's no way you can keep them -- they're looking to do something different than what you do.
    The belief that "stars" sell newspapers, or even make newspapers notably better, is an ancient fallacy.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The NY Times ought to worry more about scrubbing its liberal bias than about corralling "stars." Used to think the NYT, WaPo and WSJ would forever endure, but the nonsense coming out of Times managers' mouths and offices makes me wonder.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Jill, I'm leaving for (online media group that didn't exist 10 years ago)."

"I want you on our side. You're one of our very best. What can we do to keep you?"

"Match what (media group) offered me. It's ($xxx)."

"Well, keep in touch! Good luck over there!"

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Deep pockets AND actual growth potential. For Times-level talent, it's a seller's market.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This may not be the case. I don't think the HuffPost or Bloomberg could be paying much more than The Times. Especially the management hires.

9. CNY

CNY Member

AJR had an interesting look at Bloomberg a few months back. It helps when you charge enormous subscription fees.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=5023

Draft saved Draft deleted