1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jiffy Lube scam - caught on tape

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What a bunch of "alleged" thieves. I wouldn't go to a Jiffy Lube if I were you.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I co-worker of mine had a friend who worked at one of those places. An old lady came in and the guy checked the radiator. He found nothing wrong with the anti-freeze/coolant and told his manager. The manager took him into the back room, showed him a vial of dirty anti-freeze and said "This is what you show her."

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll go to Jiffy Lube just to get the oil changed. That's it. Nothing more. I don't care how much they try to sell me something else or try to guilt me into it, nothing more.

Of course, this makes me wonder if they even change the oil. :-\

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm with you, Cosmokie. I wait until I see one of those dudes waiving a sign saying 'Open bay, $19.95 Oil Change' and blow them off with every attempt to have an air filter changed or to add a special fuel additive.

Mechanics can be soooo danged crooked. It seems like one of these hidden camera things airs once or twice a year here.

Guess I'll visit someplace other than Jiffy Lube from now on.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

5 out of 9 of those bastards didn't even change the transmission fluid. That's amazing.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Equally as bad is the dumbass mechanic who will tell you nothing is wrong and send you on your way.

Like the time my transmission was acting up and they looked at it and said nothing was wrong. Two weeks later it burned up and I had to call a wrecker. The seal was bad and all the fluid had leaked out of it. Cost me $800.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I really hope Alex is looking for a new job now.

http://www.jiffylube.com/CustomerCare/cst_Feedback.aspx
    I just sent a little 'feedback' to the corporate office. I imagine hearing from customers (and lots of them) will inspire a response of some sort.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The worst scam I've seen at Jiffy Lube is the "Sir, we checked your radiator cap and found seal was damaged. We can replace that for you for $12. If you don't replace it, the cap might blow off under pressure when you're driving."

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Why did they use Orko from He-Man as the "hidden" source?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess I've been lucky at Jiffy Lube. The worst they've tried to pull is the air filter deal, that and selling the transmission service.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Sadly, my wife has fallen for that a couple of times even when I've told her to not do anything except the oil.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe she has a thing for young Leo.

Draft saved Draft deleted