1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jets: We don't really want to win this season ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Aug 24, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That I am responding to you shows I have not joined an intelligent conversation.

If Kendall is so great, why do his teams always blow?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe because one interior lineman can't win football games by himself. Shall we do a list of good player in team sports who've played on bad teams. Are you really that dumb?

3. TheSportsPredictor

He's played for three different franchises. He's played for a decade. They are almost universally lousy.

So, you prefer to argue that he's fantastically awesome, but everyone else on the team sucks?? Clownish.

Why did both teams he left prior to the Jets IMPROVE the year after he was gone?

4. cranberry

Never said anything but that Kendal's a top-tier interior lineman and that the Jets don't have a capable replacement for him. The Jets immediately became worse by trading him. That's all. Please learn to read. I'll chip in if you want to take a class or something. Thanks.

5. TheSportsPredictor

You don't know how good the replacement for Kendall will be.

I don't think Kendall needed to call U-Haul for an extra truck in which to load all his Pro Bowl mementos. I have a feeling the Jets will be just fine minus Kendall.

6. cranberry

Fair enough. But I don't think there's anyone in pro football, including Mangini, who would suggest Jacob Bender is close to Pete Kendall's equal. The kid may have good skills but the fact is he's from a Division II school that didn't pass the ball. In other words, he's playing the left side of an offense line in the NFL without any appreciable pass-protection experience. Call me crazy but I don't think that's a good thing for the Jets or Chad Pennington's well-being. The trade also sends a terrible message to the team and to the team's fans.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Maybe. But Kendall clearly didn't want to be there, and it was totally based on money. He purposely fucked up in a preseason game. I think fans are sick of that mentality so probably won't mind that the team booted him. Sure, Mangini was a prick the way he treated Kendall, but no one's going to remember when the Jets end up with a better record than the Redskins for the eighth time in the last nine years.

So speaketh The Sports Predictor.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When did he purposely fuck up in a preseason game? I missed that part.

Sorry, TSP, the "bad teams" argument really doesn't work, especially in football. And it's not like Kendall was never on a playoff team.

Barry Sanders was in more of a position to impact games as a running back and he never played on a great team. Usually, his teams sucked. Walter Payton played on some awful teams with the Bears before they turned it around in the mid-80s. Was Sweetness just not very good until then?

9. TheSportsPredictor

Barry Sanders played from 1989-1998. The Lions made the playoffs five times during his career. They have had one winning season since he retired. The had losing seasons 13 out of 15 before he got there.

Sure looks like Barry Sanders made his team much better.

Payton played 1975-1987. Bears made the playoffs in 1977, 1979, 1984-87. They suffered seven consecutive losing seasons before he arrived. Seems like he made them better.

But you go ahead, keep comparing Pete Kendall to some all-time HOFers. That's a great argument.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Jets should be able to sign another organization's camp casualty after the last preseason game for a minimal amount.

Is losing Kendall a tough blow? From an offensive line standpoint, yeah. He protected Pennington's blindside and tutored Mangold and Ferguson. But if the acrimony between Kendall and the organization was as bad was reported, then why keep him?

Both sides handled this badly.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah...Sanders snuck in with a bunch of 9-7 teams and never got a sniff of a Super Bowl.

Obviously, Kendall is nothing like either Hall of Famer...or any Hall of Famer for that matter.

But to say he's worthless just because the teams he has been on weren't particularly good is silly.

But fine...my last post was lazy. So I did some research.

Dick Butkus never played in a single playoff game in his career. I guess he's not as good as Kendall, who was on a playoff team last year, right?

He and Gale Sayers played together most of those years, too. Wow, they must have sucked to never get to the post-season together.
    ::)

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted