1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jets PR

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trounced, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't necessarily have a problem letting the fans know that the team they are paying thousands of dollars to a year is flipping them off.

The reporters are the fans' representative in the locker room.

But this was SO editorialized and fucking whiny.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Similar article from the Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/438682p-369576c.html

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

A much more maturely written story.

LOVE this I'm sure intentional double entendre from Ziegel:

"The Hepburn kids ... did a lot better than the cream of American journalism waiting across the street, in front of the Jets' dorm and dining room."

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, it was a column.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ferguson, biceps notwithstanding, looks a little smallish....

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There's a good point.

Just whiny then.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

mark is incredibly whiny. that said, mangini is calling these shots and isn't exactly currying favor with the media. he obviously doesn't care, but this is a disgrace nonetheless. i hear the p.r. director hid from the media yesterday. good thing. i'm sure he has no defense other than, "i'm following orders."

yikes!!! what an embarrassment.

at least in new england, belichick has become pretty useful during pressers. mangini figures to be useless. so much for his phony assertions that "i'll do whatever i can to help you guys."

this has all the makings of belichick's tenure with the browns, which was ugly. difference is, mangini won't get a second shot.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The Jets are obviously a joke of an organization.

But my experience in these situations is that fans and readers don't care how much access we get. If anything, they're more likely to take the side of the team.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely true. however, picking fights with the media can slant the coverage. if mangini's a dick, like belichick was in cleveland, the media will delight in jumping on him. fans follow what they read in the media, hear on talk shows, see on tv. so in that way, mangini's not helping himself. all the more since his team doesn't figure to be very good early on. a writer's take could become that it's early, be patient, he's building things the right way, or a writer's take could become, "this guy doesn't know what the heck he's doing."

belichick was victimized by human nature in cleveland. he was a dick and was treated accordingly. i fear the same for mangini, because the team won't be good enough for the n.y. media to tolerate putting up with an asshole.

the fact the jets' p.r. dept. couldn't convince mangini to lighten up a bit doesn't speak well of them or even gm tannenbaum. coughlin had to do most things the giants' way because the maras  and gm accorsi wouldn't let it be any other way. this isn't a good early sign for "tangini."

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm sure they're saving all the good access for the team Website and the NFL Network.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shockey - you obvioulsy know New York media well. Once a player or coach draws that line in the sand of "Us vs them" they had better not make any false steps or they will never be let up for air.

The most recent example is Randy Johnson.

My favorite entry in New York was Rickey "Don't need no press now man" Henderson when he first signed with the Yankees.

Draft saved Draft deleted