1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jets fan arrested for cheering at Chargers game (UPDATE with Colts' game bust)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jan 18, 2010.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Re: Jets fan arrested for cheering at Chargers game

I wouldn't be surprised if these cops are off-duty and hired by the Chargers to provide security. And if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the police department distances itself from their actions.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Last night at a game a fan started yelling 3 seconds ... during an inbounds play. I could only laugh. His fine should be doubled.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Really hard to believe a Jets fan would make an ass of himself at an NFL stadium.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Follow-up from the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/rough_go_for_jet_fan_NB4n6uOatukibfcvmIvz8H

An off-duty cop (probably pissed his team was losing) texted other cops that a fan was drunk and causing a disturbance.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/19/jetsarrest/

San Diego cops claim that the fan refused to leave his seat when asked (like the guy at the end of the video) and "head-butted" a cop and "balled his fists."

I suspect if the guy was really as out of control as the cops said, the fans around him would have cheered the police as they took him away.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I have no problem with Jets fans being arrested just for being Jets fans. It should be illegal to be a douche.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"The guy is lucky they did not shoot him"
    /Demetrius DuBose RIP

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh really? Given how quick everybody here has been to assume the cops are at fault even though we can't tell at all from the video, you really think a bunch of fans who probably tossed back a few are going to cheer some guy being carried off because he gave the police a hard time.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes they would be cheering, especially if it was an opposing fan. If a drunken loud mouth gets kicked out of the stadium 99% of the time people around them start cheering.

By saying this I'm not saying the cops were at fault, I truly have no idea.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I was pretty hard on the San Diego cops, and maybe the cops in Indianapolis overreacted, too, but I'm beginning to sense a pattern:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/shocker_cops_taser_jet_fan_h3GlWKllBM6uplf0dOyc5K

The Post headline:
    "Shocker! Cops taser Jets fan: Re-volt-ing development as team dreams are sacked."

Extra points for the tased fan for wearing a Wesley Walker jersey.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jet fans don't travel well. What may seem normal for the Big Apple stands out in the heartland.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I also give props for the Walker jersey. The only thing better would have been Clark Gaines.

Draft saved Draft deleted