1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter baseball card w/ Mick and W

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Apparently Topps had an oops in their Derek Jeter card this year: images inserted of Mantle in the dugout and Bush in the stands. On yahoo auctions, bidding is in the $75-100 range right now.

[​IMG]

The story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-jetercard&prov=ap&type=lgns

Number of posts before this becomes a political mud slinger: 2.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How can that possibly be an "oops"? That is something someone deliberately has to do. And Topps certainly gets a lot of PR out of the convenient little oops, don't they?

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think it's funny. Now if I could just go back to my school days and get that sucker I sold the "fuck face" card again.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This story broke a couple of days ago in the NY area (even the date on the story you posted is Feb. 27). It's not an oops. From the story:

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Be forewarned, as was the case with the Billy Ripken card, this only holds significant value if it was caught and corrected. That doesn't seem to be the case, so there are as many of this as there are cards of any other star player. Sure, it might bring a slightly higher price, but not anything significant. Don't spend a fortune on this card if you're doing it as an investment, because the value will never be as high as it is right now.

Collectors will tell you that, with the Ripken card, one of the corrected versions is actually more valuable because it is so rare.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

ok, correction: not an oops. But, certainly, out of the norm. And a funny card with W standing there.

Also, we've hit the over on the no. of posts to turn the thread political.

7. The Big Ragu

Well, I can read lips... And the guy diagonally behind Bush is yelling, "Sit down asshole!"

8. HeinekenMan

Wow. You can read lips even when they're not moving? That's a talent.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is W looking for weapons of mass destruction? :D

(Yeah, I went there. Somebody was going to, and I just beat them to the punch.)

10. The Big Ragu

The real talent is when I do it with my eyes closed.

11. HeinekenMan

Or...when the lips aren't on a face.

12. The Big Ragu

Well, those are the best kind of lips. Or so I'm told.

Draft saved Draft deleted