1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jet LB: "Would Accept Gay Teammate"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

Because if you hold an opinion, you should know why.

"Intuitions are useless." - Alan Greenspan

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've heard of oriental rugs but never oriental food. Do you mean Asian food?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lots of us are beginning to think you're an obstinate jerk. It's how we were taught. It's understandable.

According to your rules:
    • If Davis doesn't quote the exact, specific passage of scripture required here, he has no basis for his beliefs.
    • If he's not thumping the Bible as he quotes the right passage, he's a hypocrite who doesn't truly believe what he's saying.
    • If he does quote the right passage, then he's still an idiot for believing in mystical 2,000-year-old mumbo jumbo.
    • If he thumps the Bible while quoting the correct passage, then he's a raging homophobe who deserves to be publicly flogged for his beliefs.
    • If he politely refuses to answer the question, it's a clear admission that he's avoiding the issue and hates gays. Probably hunts them for sport on a game preserve in Texas (because everybody knows they hate them gays in Texas) in the offseason.
    • He can have any opinion he wants on the subject, so long as it matches yours.
    Did I miss anything?

4. Dick Whitman

Fixed for accuracy.

5. Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

Life isn't a constitutional law class, or even a seminar. Why do you like sports? Can you prove you like sports?

6. Dick Whitman

I can explain why I like sports.

7. Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

Are you an idiot for believing in what rich, white men 230 years ago wrote?

8. Dick Whitman

I don't follow.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, at least we see what your real problem with this is. You think religion (or at least Christianity) is a sin.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sometimes you are taught something, and that is the basis for your opinion.

Whether the teacher is scripture or an Astronomy book that told me (in 1971) that Jupiter has 12 moons, that's what I was taught.

Sometimes, evidence emerges that is so powerful you should change your beliefs (oops, seems like Jupiter has 67 moons).

Oftentimes, it doesn't.

Homosexuality a sin? Well, some passage in a 2,000-year-old book seems to hit that it may be . . . but lots of things written in that book don't pass the logic test.

Is it learned or innate? Well, there is tons of literature on both sides. You have Greg Quinlan, president of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX), who says "I, as a former homosexual, along with tens of thousands of others who left homosexuality, [am] proof that it is not immutable; you can change. It is not innate; you are not born that way." . . . But you also have some genetic evidence that states the opposite.

I can't tell you why I liked blondes as an adolescent. But I've adored brunettes since then. Why did I change?

Unfortunately, if someone strays one step from the "It's-NOT-a-sin-it's-NOT-learned-it's-NOT-wrong-or-abnormal-or-any-kind-of-disease-or-mistake-in-their-genetic-makeup" opinion, there will be problems on this board. And frankly, that entire sentence above could be 100 percent correct, or 100 percent wrong, or somewhere in between. I don't know. And YOU don't know. Despite what we may believe we know.

11. Boom_70

How do you know you are homosexual? Is there a blood test. A gene test.
    Have you ever slept with a women? Could it be just a phase?

12. Boom_70

Last I looked non serviam is not a tenet in The Catholic faith anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.