1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesse Helms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 4, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm reminded why I usually avoid political threads.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I confess. I am intolerant toward people who spew a lifetime of hatred and bigotry. You got me.

"Tolerance" toward evil . . . is evil.

Human Decency 101.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'll be downing some crackers in Jesse's memory tonight.
    And (Clinton's ambassador to Mexico-designate) Bill Weld will be rolling a bomber in his hinor.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I usually do, too.

But this is Helms. You don't have to be a political animal to know something about the man.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In a sense, Zag's right. The voters DID keep sending him back. Doesn't mean Helms was any less of a racist obstructionist. But if he didnt represent the voters of North Carolina at the time, he wouldn;'t have been elected. over and over and over....

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm a conservative, maybe not as much as I used to be, but still conservative. I vote for Republicans 98% of the time. Come November, I will likely keep my streak intact of voting GOP in every presidential race I've had a ballot for.

And I'm here to tell you that Jesse Helms was a racist piece of shit both before and after he lost the ability to fog a mirror.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I got nothing, really.

It seems to me Bono befriended Helms in a (ultimately successful) effort to do something about the AIDS crisis in Africa, which helped kick-start an effort that could never quite get off the ground when Bubba was in the Oval Office.

So, maybe, there was a spark of something good there, if only for a brief moment.

I don't really mourn much the passing of the segregationist dinosaurs, any more than I will mourn the passing of, say, West Virginia Sen. Byrd, the former Klansman. They will all have their reckoning, as will we all.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The board's "chaplain," Pastor, leads those sheep. I've had a week's worth of intolerance and arrogance from him to last me a lifetime.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

While I probably should let this go, I'll simply say that if you don't think Pastor is a pretty tolerant guy, you don't know spit about the man.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Seriously? People are defending this guy? Can't everyone agree that he's an ignorant schmuck? He probably didn't believe everything he said -- I mean, he said some pretty stupid shit, probably to play up his image.

But he still said it. He was a racist, homophobic pig.

I do find it odd, however, that he opposed gay rights so fervently.

How could a man with a stick lodged up his ass be against gay rights?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So much intolerance for Helms here, yet the left doesn't even blink when tolerating Sheets Bird. They even call him the "Soul of the Senate."

"I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

He did have stamina, though, once personally filibustering the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for 14 hours on his own.

But he's a Democrat, so that makes him a good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted