1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Seinfeld's new movie--its about bees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, May 18, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070518.wcannes18/BNStory/cannes2007/home

He then went on to describe the genesis of Bee Movie, which began in Nashville while Seinfeld was in town for a concert and was busy chewing on a red licorice stick called a Twizzler.

"I wish I had a Twizzler now. It would make it funnier," he said. While chewing on the licorice, he had a thought: What if they made a movie about bees called B-movie?

Shortly after, he contacted Steven Spielberg to ask him to direct a commercial. Spielberg turned him down but invited him to dinner, which, "for a Jewish kid from Long Island, is like having a second bar mitzvah." After waiting patiently all day, Seinfeld said, he finally met Spielberg "and we went to the dinner and we're having a nice time because you know, even though I'm Jerry Seinfeld, he's Steven Spielberg."

To fill a lull in the conversation, he said, he told the filmmaker, "You know I was thinking the other night it would be funny to make a movie about bees called B-movie. I said this just to fill the lull. I don't want to make the movie. I just want to get through the night and say, 'I had dinner with Steven Spielberg.' But Spielberg got excited and he calls Jeffrey Katzenberg on his cellphone and says, 'I'm here with Jerry Seinfeld and he has a fantastic idea.' And I'm going, 'It's not an idea. I was eating a Twizzler. It's just - it's a pun.' "

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, that's almost exactly how every single one of my ideas starts, only replace the Twizzler with beer. If only Steven Spielberg were my friend ...

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mullllllva?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

He was on the Daily Show last November promoting this movie a year early, it didn't make a whole lotta sense but the scene they showed was pretty funny.

6. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

How many times have we seen this ... a comic who becomes a father suddenly decides he wants to make something his kids can see? I love Seinfeld, but I'm not really optimistic about this.

Of course, if his bee character has a crazy, racist next-door-neighbor who's always cooking up crazy schemes, a best friend who accidentally offs his fiancee and a hot ex-girlfriend who uses the sponge for contraceptive purposes, then I'm first in line.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

So, what's the deal with bees? They give us honey, they sting us. Do they represent a love-hate relationship?

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"The movie, which is expected to be released at the end of the year, follows Barry B. Benson, who, unlike other bees, does question his assignment. He wants to be a "pollen jock," sort of a test pilot of the bee world, but during one scouting mission, he commits the cardinal bee sin of speaking to a human (a florist played by Renée Zellweger). They become friends and through her he discovers that humans have been stealing bee honey for years. He decides to make legal history by taking humans to court for reparations. Some of the guest voices include Oprah Winfrey as the judge, with Ray Liotta and Sting, playing themselves, as celebrity witnesses."

Wow, this sounds truly awful.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm not seeing it. I'M JUST NOT SEEING IT, JERRY!

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great.

Draft saved Draft deleted