1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Reese Vs Mike Tannenbaum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No contest.

I understand this is a NY centric post and that I am likely writing for myself but how does Mike Tannenbaum keep an NFL GM job?

The Jets lose a starting corner and it's the end of the world. The Giants lost one last year in pre season and went on to win the Super Bowl.

Why ? Because Jerry Reese continues to bring in top quality players to stock the shelves for the what if's. The guy travels below the radar and does not get near enough credit for his work.

2. That's been mentioned many times before at the national level.. The intense level of interest by the NY media in the Jets, while the Giants are buried.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Everyone stops to look at the train wreck, no one bothers to watch the train roll on by

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

reese has rapidly become considered among the top 5 or so personnel guys; tannenbaum remains a highlly-respected salary cap guy but admits he's no personnel guru, which is why the jets of today are frighteningly similar to the jets of the '70s/'80s -- they didnt have a real gm-type, running a 'by committee deal' that rarely (if ever) works out. now they're back to the days when it felt like the 'front office' worked for the coach instead of the other way around. seems like sexy rexy has done a beautiful job winning over the wood man (woody johnson) by getting on the back page of the tabs, still not realizing that it hasnt helped boost psl sales.

but the consensus in ny is that ryan is safe but tannenbaum is not. my educated guess is that tannenbaum will stay on in his old role as 'capologist' but the j-e-t-s will be looking for a personnel/gm-type. typically butt backwards -- the best teams ALWAYS have the top guy in the organization hire the coach, and then that gm-type gets TWO shots at hiring the coach to team up with as a package. strong gm/personnel types rarely get hired frrom outside the organization if the head coach is remaining. it's vital for the coach to be the 'gm's' guy. but the clearer it becomes that rex is the one calling the personnel shots the more people will realize the j-e-t-s has gone back to the future.

5. Boom_70

Belichick is one of the few coaches who have also been able to call the shots.

Jerry Reese has been on a roll. This year it looks like Martellis Bennett is the prize. One other thing the Giants have been successful at doing is hanging on to their 2nd tier players for the long hall. It allows them to easily sub when starter goes down. Ramses Barden and Will Beaty are two good examples

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Reese also knows when to get rid of a guy.

After Derrick Ward had a 1000 yard season in '08, he let him leave, rather than sign him. Ward didn't have 1000 yards, total, for the rest of his career. He took a lot of heat for letting Steve Smith and Kevin Boss leave, Reese was right. He saw Shockey slide down at just the right time. He'll be dead on with Manningham, a prototypical underachiever but for one post season, and Jacobs. He brought Kawika Mitchell and Antonio Pierce in at the right time. He's discovered two actual fullbacks in Hedgecock and Hynoski in an era when no one can find 1.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Jets are well below the cap and bereft of actual talent, which illustrates your point quite nicely.

'Yab is dead on. I thought it was a mistake to let Steve Smith go when the Eagles were only offering $1m more (though the full $2m was guaranteed, I believe, and the Giants weren't willing to guarantee any of it). Reese made the right move there and he's apparently made the right move with Manningham as well.

As for the parade of strong tight ends he keeps unearthing, I'm starting to believe that's more a case of Manning (as well as Cruz and Nicks) making the tight ends more successful than they'd be in other systems, surrounded by lesser talent.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

correct on all counts, sir. as his own statistical accomplishments keep rising, manning is now starting to get the credit he deserves for helping along unknown tight ends and no. 3 receivers. know how at indy peyton used to make chicken salad out of obscure, clearly helping them along in their developmental stages? gotta give him much of the credit for helping bring along guys like v cruz and barden when they got their chances. eli should continue to have his own merits as a passer and a 'leader' talked up as he moves further and further from peyton's shadow.

9. Boom_70

With Revis going down The Jets are in need of a CB so what do they do? They decide to move Joe McKnight from RB to CB. Yeah that should work.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

There's no doubt that Reese is a far superior GM than Tannenbaum, but comparing Revis to Terrell Thomas... seriously?

11. Boom_70

Of course Revis is better than Thomas. Just saying, when The Jets lose a starter it's the end of the world, when The Giants lose a starter they have a back up ready to go.

To me it's a testament to the work that Jerry Reese does.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He spent a 1st round pick on a 3rd CB. I don't know of many teams that have more of their resources invested in CBs than the Jets. It's hard to replace your best player. How smart would Reese have been without Manning?

Draft saved Draft deleted