1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 1, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Remember, don't give till it hurts; give till it feels good.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

They didn't give me time to feel good. That's my beef with Jerry's telthon.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm just sayin' that that was something you could count on somebody saying on the air about 10 times an hour.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

With all of Ed McMahon's problems recently, I thought he would be the worse off of the two. But after hearing Jerry labor through the first 15 minutes, I'm wondering if either one will be around next year.

Still, where else are you going to see tap dancing on national television other than the Jerry Lewis Telethon? Or Charo? Or Tony Orlando?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My question about the telethon is this: Jerry Lewis has raised a flazillion bucks over the years.

Has anyone ever done a story as to how the money has been spent? Any breakthroughs? Cures? Advances? Anything?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The break through is that every year he sets a new recod.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Remember when Frank Sinatra brought Dean Martin on stage after Dean and Jerry hadnt seen each other in years? That was good TV.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And another record-breaking telethon.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be honest, the best part for me is seeing some of the of the local news talent in the local segments glammed up in hot evening attire. I know, I'm a pig.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I remember it but lost my notes. I think it was Dean who cracked: "Been workin'?"

YD&OHS, etc

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, damn it, and while you're at it, tell that American Cancer Society that we're wise to their scam, too.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's not just one disease we're talking about here. The money goes to about 30 muscular type of diseases, as well as providing wheelchairs and other stuff for those inflicted.

Draft saved Draft deleted