1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour (final chapter)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Sep 25, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you grew up in New Jersey, Jerry Izenberg is a legend.
    If you've been in this business long enough on the East Coast, you've learned that Jerry also is a great guy.
    He is one of only 3 remaining writers to cover every Super Bowl and will slip into semi-retirement after SB XLI in February.
    He's doing an eight-part retrospective of his 55 years in the business on consecutive Sunday's in The Star-Ledger. Here are Parts 1 and 2 (or episodes 1 and 2 as he calls them). Some very fine stuff.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/izenberg/

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour

Impressive stuff. I liked this quote in particular:

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truth is, Dools, I learned more from Jerry than he could ever learn from me.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If I may, I echo spnited's thoughts on the Izenberg series. Having worked with Jerry for a number of years, I didn't know what to think when I heard he was going to do the series. I figured I didn't have to read it because I knew most of the stories, having heard them from the horse's mouth, so to speak. But I was wrong. He has even more stories to tell than I imagined and I have enoyed every word of it. Jerry is a vast font of knowledge that anybody in the business -- young or old -- can learn from.

Thanks for listening.

5. tommyp

tommyp Member

Wow...Part I was extremely heartwarming. I know Izenberg's slowed down a bit, but he still has a great fastball.

6. Re: Jerry Izenberg's farewell tour

Jerry was one of the old guys when I was a young guy who took the time. God bless him.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

To read Jerry is to know what sportswriting can be. To know Jerry is to know what a man can be. I love who he is and I love what he does.

8. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Thanks for the lin, spnited. Great reads, both of them.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

jerry has always been a class act. a great storyteller who has never, to my knowledge, big-timed anyone. he's the king of jersey, deservedly so. i'm privileged to count him as a friend.8) 8) 8)

10. btdice

btdice New Member

When I was a freshman in college, I had the audacity to want to interview him for the Pride Bowl, which he helped start. What followed wasn't an interview, it was a lecture on how to be a sports reporter and using some ethics in the job. It was my first, and best, lesson.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I read him every day, especially when I was a junior and senior in high school.\

Maybe I should have been reading my textbooks, but there's no way I would have learned as much or had as much fun.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Nited,

I've been a JI fan for a long time. I have How many miles to Camelot? ... back in the early 70s it was a good anti-sports-establishment read. I'm going to pick up his anthology. My regret: I spied him at a Gatti fight I was working and didn't introduce myself. That said, he never did answer my email afterward.

Sigh, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted