1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jerry brewer's series on a young girl with cancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by funky_mountain, Jul 13, 2007.

1. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

this conversation had to take a religious turn shooner or later. i was surprised she lived as long as she did. that in itself might be part of the miracle. that her family and friends got to be around this little girl might be part of the miracle. it wasn't a miracle in the traditional sense that was healed and lived a normal life. but something special happened for those around her. that can't be ignored and from reading the family's words from the start, i doubt they feel there was nothing in the end.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The death of someone I've never met and who I wouldn't have known were it not for one reporter has hit me very hard.

My best to her family and friends, and may they take everything they have gained from this experience and move forward in their lives.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Oh my God, that was so hard to read. I nearly lost it when the children came in one at a time to spend a moment with Gloria, and then when her father took out the locks of Gloria's hair they kept.

Again, as always. No parent should ever have to outlive his or her child.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's really, really dusty in here... my prayers to Gloria's family and my admiration to Jerry for his efforts.

Rest in peace, Gloria...

5. Fuck, does cancer suck.

God bless Gloria, her family and all who have been affected by this insidious disease.

What an amazing girl Gloria was.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A sweet update. Nothing more than what I think most of us who read the stories would have expected. Oddly, it was the green Halloween thread on the Anything Goes board that made me think about plugging Gloria's name into the Seattle Times search engine.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=brewer21&date=20071021&query=gloria+strauss

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Okay, I hadn't read the penultimate installment, the one posted on the 22nd, until today. I don't know how he got the detail, whether he was with the mom at the time, but this one really struck me:

Draft saved Draft deleted