1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jericho season 2 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 10, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I don't have any hard numbers, but I've read that the ratings are disappointing for live TV viewing, but very good for other-type viewership (DVR time-shift, iTunes, CBS.com, etc.)

Which I don't suppose is that surprising for a show that comes on at 10 p.m.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Here's a post from TWOP:

And here are the ratings, courtesy of zap2it.com:

With FOX done for the night, NBC and "Law & Order: SVU," 6.4/11, claimed the top spot at 10 p.m. "Primetime" scored a 5.1/8 for ABC, beating the 3.8/6 for "Jericho" on CBS.

That figure also includes same-day DVR viewing. Also, in a recent IF Magazine interview with Dan Shotz and Jon Steinberg, Dan indicated that, while the network would, of course, like to see "more eyeballs to the TV" (his words), it is still "very happy with how we are performing on all the various platform -- DVR, iTunes, CBS.com, etc." That tells me that the network is keeping as open-minded an view as possible, is taking the non-traditional numbers very seriously, and is committed to seeing how well the show does overall.

In other words, I don't think the fat lady at the opera has sung just yet; in fact, I don't think she's even started warming up. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a Season 3, but exclusively as a Web series, if nothing else.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And here's an interview with the creator and co-exec producer:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2695

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And here's 4+ minutes from episode 6:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video/video.php?cid=629546370&pid=oPo3jqA1OACvURIkSwX_fPFQ6464xJyK&play=true&cc=2

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The CW (owned by CBS) would be the best place for it. With a loyal core audience it would instantly become the CW's biggest hit (probably bigger than WWE). It could be a potential win-win for the show and the network in that it would draw older viewers to the young-skewing network, and could make fans out of younger viewers.

SciFi would be a horrible place for Jericho. For one thing, it's not a sci-fi show. For another, SciFi constantly jacks with its schedule. And for another, calling its budget "shoestring" for a show like this is being kind.

7. Football_Bat

Whatever its fate, we'll find out in the next 2 weeks. CBS made the producers shoot a alternate ending to tie up the series.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the ruthlessness of Goetz and crew being left on their own by the regional operations guy. Not to say I shed any tears seeing Goetz go down, but smiled a bit seeing the corp. promote a guy who kills and steals for the company than cut him down when he takes a little off the top from them. My only surprise was that Goetz didn't immediately go stool pigeon and tell Jake he's got info on J&R that is worth sparing his life for. And I thought hanging Goetz at New Bern hit a little too close to home for me, thinking of those guys who got mutilated in Fallujah.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Web allegation of impending demise:

http://spoilertv-jericho.blogspot.com/

10. Football_Bat

Ooops! Some serious, serious spoilers in that clip.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My bad. Didn't see it there when I posted.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't expect the show to be back on CBS next season.
    I think the CW might be a good guess if the fans make a push for it.
    For what it is worth, this season seems better than last season.

Draft saved Draft deleted