1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jered Weaver's "no-hit" loss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Re: Jered Weaver

Just turned on Baseball Tonight ... wow.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes. Everybody gets "demoted."

If it doesn't go nine innings, or if it gets broken up in extra innings, it's NOT an official no-hitter.

Tonight's is NOT an official no-hitter. AP should word it something like, "The Dodgers did not get any hits off Weaver and Arredondo, but beat the Angels 1-0." Or specifically call it an unofficial no-hitter, and explain the 1991 rule change in the notes.

3. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Over/under on how many times Tim Kurkjian's voice will crack explaining this game?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

THEY THREW A NO-HITTER AND THEY LOST THE GAME!

BTW, how great would it be if some first-timer walked into Scioscia's office after the game only to hear Scioscia yell "You only cover us when we throw a no-hitter and lose!"

5. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Tim Kurkjian is, by far, my favorite ESPN personality. The guy knows his stuff and his passion for the game is unquestioned.

He's like Dick Vitale, without the mute button.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not according to baseball's official rules they didn't.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

His reaction after the Orioles gave up 30 runs was one of the greatest things I've ever heard. In fact, I "transcribed" it b/c it was so awesome.

"We say all the time that you go to a major league game that we might see something we've never seen before. And no one's ever seen this before. It is 110 years since anyone's scored 30 runs in a major league game. The Devil Rays didn't score 30 runs in their last 11 games combined! And the Rangers scored more runs in the last two innings of that game than they had scored in their previous six games combined! I mean, this is absurd! Michael Young, the no. 3 hitter on this team, did not drive in a run in a game in which his team scored 30 runs! And yet the last two guys in the order drove in seven runs each! I promise you, in the history of baseball, it's never happened where the 8-9 guys drove in seven runs each in a game. The 7-8-9 guys went 14-for-19 with 15 RBI! Are you kidding me?"

(then the anchor started to thank Kurkjian for his time)

"Is that the only question you're gonna ask me?"

(then Kurkjian ended it by delivering the money shot)

"I'll just leave you with this: Wes Littleton got the save! The final score was 30-3 and he got a save!"

8. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

One of ESPN's finest moments.

I'm just as much in awe of that transcription as you are of my avatar.

Good work, sir.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Vin Scully during the broadcast: "I've seen some games in my day, but I haven't seen anything like this."

That guy is a nightly treat in Southern California.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha, well the Wes Littleton thing was so hilarious I knew I'd put it in my sig. So I rewound it and just had to transcribe the entire thing b/c it was so awesome and joyous.

PS: I'll trade avatars with you! :D

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Is Buck in Jered's family tree?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be funny if they were?

Draft saved Draft deleted