1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jered Weaver throws no-hitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 3, 2012.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yes, it is an interesting discussion. My personal take is that is you're there to report what's happening in the game, superstition be damned, and to intentionally avoid it doesn't seem to be serving the viewer. That said, it was a former pitcher and a son of a former MLB infielder in the booth, and that culture of not jinxing the no-hitter can be pretty deeply ingrained.

As an aside, I remember a few years ago when Freddy Garcia had a perfecto going against the Angels in Anaheim and Steve Physioc and Rex Hudler, the Angels announcers at the time, made it very clear what was going on. They got ripped for doing so in a Jay Mariotti column the next day.

After watching the TV replay of Weaver's gem, I'm tempted to go back and listen to the Angels' radio broadcast to see how they handled it. I would think if you're doing radio, you would be pretty much required to talk openly about the no-hitter, since you don't have graphics and whatnot to work around that.

Draft saved Draft deleted