1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeopardy! Online Quiz

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Let me take a shot at these...

Asterisked ball in Hall of Fame. Barry Bonds

Fidelio was whose lone opera? Beethoven

Author of "Innocents Abroad" Mark Twain Wrote a paper on this in high school

Former minister playing guitar on night talk show in 2008

First book of the New Testament: Matthew (I only know this because I studied this while prepping for the show)

Silas Marner author's pen name: George Eliot

Capitol of ND named for what historical figure: Bismarck

Four-letter name for horsey reddish-gray color: No idea

Food of the Gods . . . beginning with "A" Ambrosia

First African-American actress to win Best Actress Hallie Berry (Trick question, the key is BEST Actress, not BEST SUPPORTING Actress, who would be Hattie McDaniel for "Gone With the Wind")

Author of Iliad and Odyssey Homer

Fair to middlin: Terrible clue/no idea

Painter of Nude Descending A Staircase: Duchamp (Knew this from an Art History prof who waxed about this for 20 minutes)

Only Shakesperian play with an opening scene at sea: The Tempest

Lincoln's Secretary of State William Seward

Show Christine Ebersole won a Tony for, based on a documentary: No idea

Henry VIII's third wife: Jane Seymour (A Mrs. Birdscribe special; she can quote chapter and verse on English monarchs)

Baby swans are called? Cygnets

Former slave (born in 1800) a key figure in abolitionist movement: John Brown

Green is the dominant color of the flag of what Muslim country? Iraq?

Heidi Klum series on Bravo

Teddy Roosevelt was first U. S. prez to make state visit abroad -- to what country? Panama (For the Panama Canal/once again, don't jack with me on presidential trivia)

Police Brutality:

The Jane Austin novel which begins: "The family of Dashwood had long settled in Sussex."

French Riviera city which was burial site for Henri Matisse. Nice

This wasn't easy at all. I knew many of these by dumb luck and a great memory.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just throwing out another one I remembered: What is the longest book in the Bible?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I got Christine Ebersole . . . Grey Gardens

and got the 1800-born abolitionist: Dred Scott.

and the horse color: roan

and the flag: Libya.

Did NOT get Duchamp (brain fart)

I'll wait on the Matisse. I salute anyone who can get it without Googling it.

4. Psalms

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Wow, tonight's just kicked my butt.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, I just got my ass handed to me. If I got half of them, it's a miracle. Then again, if I can't come up with Oscar Wilde in 15 seconds, I probably don't deserve to be on Jeopardy.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I thought I did really well on mine. A lot of the questions were unnecessarily easy.

A few I remember:

Which state was the first to hold a primary in 2008?
    What is the capital of Latvia?
    Which recent awards show was held via press conference?
    The nations of Zanzibar and Tanganyika merged to form what country?
    What lake does the Nile flow from?
    Who was the first president to live in the White House?
    Which NFL team went 16-0 in 2007?

There was also a question about Shakespeare (of course), a question where the answer was Di Medici, a question where the answer was Jane Austen, a bunch of "Who wrote this play?" questions and something about some composer.

If I think of more, I'll post 'em.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Which composer's most famous work was "The Threepenny Opera"?
    What is the capitol and most populous city of Libya?
    What (some descriptive element here) waterfall is at the border of Brazil and Argentina?
    The musical "Kiss me, Kate" was based on which of Shakespeare's plays?
    Coefficiants and (something I forget) are used in which area of mathematics?
    On (some holiday), it's traditional to read from which book of the Bible named after a woman?

I'm mostly remembering the ones I got. There were some that I just blinked at for 15 seconds.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn, this is fun....

Which composer's most famous work was "The Threepenny Opera"? Kurt Weill

What is the capitol and most populous city of Libya? Tripoli

What (some descriptive element here) waterfall is at the border of Brazil and Argentina? Iguazu Falls Damn, this is a ball-buster; the ONLY reason I knew this is Little Birdscribe had a travel report on Brazil and he "visited" these falls.

The musical "Kiss me, Kate" was based on which of Shakespeare's plays? Taming of the Shrew

Coefficiants and (something I forget) are used in which area of mathematics? Algebra? There's a reason I was pissed on my first day when I was trying to nurse a lead and "Math" was one of my final two categories...

On (some holiday), it's traditional to read from which book of the Bible named after a woman? I'm guessing you're referring to Purim and the Book of Esther

Capital of Latvia? Riga
    First President to live in the White House? John Adams
    Zanzibar + Tanganyika = Tanzania
    First state to hold a 2008 primary: New Hampshire
    Awards show held via press conference: Golden Globes
    16-0 NFL team: New England Patriots

Lake in Egypt the Nile flows from? I should know this, but all that's coming to me is Aswan (named for the Aswan Dam). Don't think this is right.

Keep 'em coming...

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Project Runway. You could've gotten that one just from reading this board!

Sense and Sensibility

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Looks like you had the same test as I. Had all those questions as well. And I agree about the blinking - there was a stretch of around three or four in the middle there that I just stared at, laughed off and then groaned.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not holding my breath for a phone call . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted