1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jenny McCarthy: um, maybe my kid isn't really autistic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Feb 26, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I feel bad that she might be a parent who is very confused, and this confusion was probably caused by zellot doctors.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Rather than give in to baser instincts and cackle like a madman, I'll just wish her son a long, healthy life with a deep respect for science-based medicine. :)

3. The high road?!
    Seriously?
    W. T. F.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yep, she did all this just to revive her career ::)

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Sometimes ignorance wins out.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I know. I'm growing soft in my old age.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Age-related erectile failure is caused by childhood immunization.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You gotta love the unnecessary vitriol here.

From what I can tell, McCarthy never pretended to be the female version of Kevin Trudeau -- offering cures of her own and spouting theories she came up with. She just believed medical professionals.

Yes, she believed, among other things, that vaccinations had something to do with her son's medical condition, which doctors told her was autism. She didn't diagnose the kid. And she wasn't the one who conjured up this idea that vaccinations and various other causes were behind her child's autism.

Doctors did.

She just bought it, given that, you know, she's a mother desperately looking for hope that her child might be normal, or at the very least searching for a reason why he isn't. I know, I know -- stupid bitch.

And when the unconventional treatments began working for her son and the disease, which DOCTORS told her was autism, began to subside, she really bought in and used her celebrity to get her story to others.

Did she benefit from it in some way? I have no idea. I assume she was making money from the books she wrote. But again, it's not as if she didn't have a legitimate reason to believe that her story was true and something that might help others. Did she believe that or was she just looking to "cash in"? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else. But there's no reason to believe her motives weren't good.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dog, I understand what you are saying, but I think she used selective hearing when listening to the doctors.

Why do I think that? Because tens of thpusands of them still immunize children.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From http://www.pr.com/article/1076

PR.com: It’s unfortunate, but I think the way it goes is that you have to be your own advocate. You have to do your own research and then bring your research to the doctor and collaborate with the doctor, instead of just blindly following whatever the doctor tells you.

Jenny McCarthy: It’s true. I know that doctors get so upset when moms go on Google. Well, it’s because the power is being put back in our hands. Before you go through any surgeries or any prescriptions, or anything, do your homework!
    PR.com: Is it that (Defeat Autism Now) type of doctor who provided you with all of this information?

Jenny McCarthy: Yes and no. I did a lot of digging on my own, the “University of Google” (laughs). I found the diet myself, I found the supplements myself.
    ___

Internet is a wonderful research tool, but it's insane not to listen to doctors. There's so much information out there, and it seems she choses not to believe doctors in favor of clinging to stuff she found on the Internet.

Who is this kid's father, anyway?

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jesus. Who edited the original article Bob linked?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jenny McCarthy has written more books (6) than Abe Lincoln (0), Socrates (0) and Christ (0).

Draft saved Draft deleted