1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jenkins' Semi-Memoir

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It will be great to read the real-life stories that Jenkins parodied in "You Gotta Play Hurt." Especially if he doesn't pull his punches. And I'd I'd have to guess Jenkins won't be pulling punches.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That is so good. So good.
    I love Jenkins during the Majors. His tweets are a must follow.
    And he definitely doesn't use them in his copy the next day.

3. inkstainedwretch2

inkstainedwretch2 New Member

Next up on the reading list. When he was on his game, he never wrote a bad sentence.

He can be forgiven for his worship of Hogan. We all had our heroes.

Alan Page was the greatest player to put on shoulder pads. I will not argue that.

"Jack Nicklaus, comma ... "

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Quite possibly the greatest paragraph ever written:

5. Riptide

Actually, that paragraph sucks. Jenkins is not at his best when he rips editors.

6. joe

joe Active Member

That's "Joe Montana, comma ..." but it works for Jack, too.

My favorite part is Jim Tom wanting to buy a glass bottom car so he can see the look on the guy's face when he runs him down.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Lol @ disliking Dan Jenkins.

8. Riptide

I like Jenkins. But writers shouldn't rip editors.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was referring to the OP.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fox News “the only news program network that doesn’t seem to hate America” / Dan Jenkins

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bought it yesterday. Jenkins' speech at the Red Smith Award lunch last year was classic. Unfiltered. Had a crack about Florida being shaped like a penis. Several students in the room had never heard of him and they were in awe when he was done.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

One of the greatest ledes in the history of SI:

Stoop-Shouldered and sinisterly handsome, he slouches against the wall of the saloon, a filter cigarette in his teeth, collar open, perfectly happy and self-assured, gazing through the uneven darkness to sort out the winners from the losers. As the girls come by wearing their miniskirts, net stockings, big false eyelashes, long pressed hair and soulless expressions, he grins approvingly and says, "Hey, hold it, man—foxes." It is Joe Willie Namath at play. Relaxing. Night-timing. The boss mover studying the defensive tendencies of New York's off-duty secretaries, stewardesses, dancers, nurses, Playboy bunnies, actresses, shopgirls—all of the people who make life stimulating for a bachelor who can throw one of the best passes in pro football. He poses a question for us all: Would you rather be young, single, rich, famous, talented and happy—or president?

Draft saved Draft deleted