1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jenkins' Semi-Memoir

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Dan Jenkins has a semi-memoir coming out.

"His Ownself: a Semi-Memoir"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/books/his-ownself-a-semi-memoir-by-dan-jenkins.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

I'm sure several folks here will be stoked. Jenkins has written a lot of great things..

I'm no fan of Jenkins. He's a guy who's been there, done that and left the bar empty - and made sure we all know it.
    He's a huge Hogan fan and guy who does not like Tiger Woods.
    To me, he's more of a story now than a story-teller; not to be bothered with small events .. "Wake me when it's a major." ... Yeah, he's earned it, but it's not my cup of tea.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm wary of some of the writers who get to the top of the business and then barely write about anything but golf for the latter part of their careers.

Obviously, he earned the right to have that as an option, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

I can't wait to read the book.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jenkins started covering golf in his 20s. It's his favorite sport, so why shouldn't he cover it all his life if he wants and people will pay him to do it?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know Jenkins hates the NFL, but in 1973, after Semi-Tough was a hit, Sports Illustrated had him cover it for a season and he was fantastic. He must've begged off after that season, though.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good update. Jenkins has been to like 60-plus straight Masters and has covered more than 200 majors. Probably the top golf journalist of the past half century, at least.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Loved Jenkins' football years.
    A big loss when he turned solely to golf.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Reilly was definitely eyeing a similar path at SI.

9. Mizzougrad96

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

10. The most famous, for sure.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Still, in my humble opinion, the greatest weekly magazine gamer in history.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085606/index.htm

If they ever had an APSE for best paragraph, this, from Jenkins' story, would be the all-time winner:

"It was one of those insanely thrilling things in which a single player, seized by the moment, twists, whirls, slips, holds his balance and, sprinting, makes it all the way to the goal line. Rodgers went 72 yards for the touchdown, one which keeps growing larger in the minds of all. And afterward, back on the Nebraska bench, he did what most everybody in Norman, Okla. probably felt like doing: he threw up."

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted