1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele on Larry Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 5, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

She had the cohones to call one of the best players in the NFL a Studio Gangsta and then backed it up about as well as she could.
    Damn good column -- and this coming from a Chiefs fanboy looser.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lester,

Oh, I think insightful is reading that KC Star piece on Larry Johnson at the beginning of the year - the one that opens with him becoming a permanent houseguest of his white next door neighbors - and realizing there's something more to the issue than race-baiting and growing up.

Again, I must impress that I judge based the content of the words, not who wrote it or what money deal they've got. The piece is well-written and, in my opinion, shallow, an indictment I could spread to a lot of sportswriters.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Serious question:

Do we really need a Jemele Hill thread every damn week?
    Sorry, but she's just not that big a deal.

Nothing wrong with that column, nothing great either. But if it weren't posted here, I sure wouldn't have gone to Page 2 looking for it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think we need it for no other reason than if we don't have it, the moderators need to use up their delete thread powers for 2006 to make sure they get enough for next year.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ace always has the answer.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, spnited. I read the column and thought it was well written, and much better than the previous work of hers that I have read. You are free not to click on said Jemele Hill threads if she's not that big of a deal to you, though. :p

And F_B, while I think there may be a grain of truth to your statement about black columnists ripping black athletes and the praise they receive, I don't think you can seriously argue that this wasn't a MUCH better column than the one about NBA groupies (the only other Page 2 column of hers that I've read).

That column was a superfluous, steaming pile of crap that wasn't even entertaining. This one had some meat to it. This wasn't a good column because it was written by a black person. It's just a good column.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Agreed. I am not sayng it's a high-water mark for journalism, just that there were a couple of really nice moments of writing ... and I'll take that most days.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fen, I'm so glad you are here to tell me why I feel how I feel. Though we've never met, nor even spoken beyond posts on a message board, you just read my mind.

I thought this was a pretty solid column. Can't compare it to anything else because I really haven't read her stuff that closely. I do admit part of why I like it is because she and I have the same opinion of Johnson.

But Fen, sarcasm aside, you don't know me at all so please refrain from telling me what I think. I can manage that without your help, thank you very much.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

As clarification, RokSki, since you couldn't bring yourself to actually read the column linked...that term was used by Ms. Hill in her column. It is not a Lester Bangs original.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That was a fantastic column by Jemele.

And speaking of LJ and race, I'm reminded of the article that the Kansas City alt-weekly ran on LJ, where it was disclosed that his teammates call him "Pinky" becauase he loves to fuck white women. Hilarious.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Huh?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hell, Easy-E was using it back in '93.

Draft saved Draft deleted