1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele on Larry Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 5, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm ... country club hussies ....

[​IMG]

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

<i>Johnson admitted that under Vermeil, he fell asleep in meetings and was unmotivated. The last thing other young, black men need to hear is that it's OK to be unprofessional if you don't like your boss and he doesn't come from circumstances that mirror your own. That's crap. My boss isn't a young, black woman from Detroit, and I work with him just fine. It's called being an adult -- something Johnson is still learning how to be.</i>

Tremendous work, here. Johnson's "studio gangster" act is an insult to anybody who ever had hard times growing up -- black, brown, white et al.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Studio Gangster. [/SportsJournalists.com term of the year]

She was solid in pointing out examples of how black coaches and black players doesn't necessarily equate to a harmonious relationship. From Bobby Williams, to Denny Green dealing with Daunte, Moss, and Cris Carter.

Now, we have found a term that we can place on Chris Webber.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I thought it was a good column.
    That said, I saw something on ESPN2 that scared the crap out of me last week.
    Passed by "Quite Frankly" with Screamin' A Smith, and he was introducing his panelists for the day.
    "To my left, Jemele Hill of ESPN.com. To my right, columnist Rob Parker of the Detroit News...."
    I turned the channel before he could get to the third panelist. I don't think my thumb has ever moved so fast in my 28-plus years on this Earth....

5. D-3 Fan

He just have to worry about the trailer trash bimbo across the tracks and his gravy-training parents who wants to live through him and his successes.

Alma, you made some valid and worthy comments. The only thing is that she was focused on the sports story at hand. I don't think ESPN is interested in having her write about the historical context of African-Americans and the well-documented conditions they have gone through. They want entertainment, not a history lesson.

But we already knew that about the WWL!

BigRed, was it that bad to see? No one wonder why her pic isn't on Page 2 yet. Just wondering....

6. I point out for the record that the easiest way for a black columnist to get applause from the board is to criticize a black athlete. (See, "Whitlock, Jason.") This column isn't any better -- or worse -- than her previous work, but, suddently, she "gets it."

7. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Wow, I was very impressed by Ms. Hill. I actually feel a little ashamed of having LJ on my fantasy team (PS - Larry, thanks for coming up big this week against Cleveland. I didn't want that first-round bye in fantasy playoffs anyway).

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's a good column.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fenian,

You're such a studio gangster... ;D

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A very good point, or at least one that I've been mulling posting myself for awhile now.

11. No.
    Johnny Roselli as a studio gangster.

12. D-3 Fan

Fen, I get what you are saying. It's fashionable now for black columnist to rip black athletes. I'll ask this as a general question: have this practice been used before, say 20-30 years ago? I don't think I have read anything in the past from a black columnist calling out his/her own for conduct unbecoming an individual (being stupid, hypocritical, or dumb).

Draft saved Draft deleted