1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele has a point

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chubster, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Did she ever consider that Ankiel and Glaus may not be receiving the same amount of coverage because the public has become immune to stories of players using PED's?

I haven't heard anyone supporting these 2, or anyone accused of using PED's, but it's tough to get worked up over it anymore....

I was never "upset" about the steroid story anyway, I've assumed for years the pro athletes have taken PED's at one point or another.

2. Um, yeah. Sorry, I figured people could pick up on the sarcasm without having to use the blue.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do we know if Ankiel is all the way white?[/Sheffield]

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Gary Matthews Jr. is an excellent comparison to Rick Ankiel.

Both were linked to a raided pharmacy. Both were given their chance to speak their side of it. Both had bullshit responses. Both stories faded.

So how is that racist?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will never argue that Barry Bonds hasn't been the lightning rod for the entire steroid era, probably unfairly considering 70 percent of major leaguers were chemistry experiments in the 1990s.

But blaming Bonds' public perception on the fact that he's black is a desperate stretch at best. Why do these people keep ignoring the magnitude of the fact that Barry Bonds is a fucking asshole who's insulted the intelligence of America with his unconditional denials?

6. heyabbott

If you have to ask, you're a racist!

7. boots

boots New Member

How does the race card figure in all of this?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

'Race card' sports columns are probably the laziest form of writing.

And generally, just as misguided.

9. You're joking, right?

10. heyabbott

http://starwars2k.homestead.com/files/race-card-wsdpg.jpg NSFW, but no nudity

[​IMG]

11. IU90

IU90 Member

Damn straight, the Mathews analogy is highly accurate--nice job, oop. A comparison of the press treatment of the Mathews controversy to the Ankiel controversy is valid and might give a reliable indication as to whether there's a double standard at work here. But asking why Ankiel hasn't recieved the same sort of attention as the guy who just broke the all-time HR record is utterly ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.