1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view/2008_06_17_ESPN_com_apologizes_for_C_s-Hitler_reference_/srvc=home&position=recent

Didn't see this yet. If it's a DP, so sorry.

This constant use of the Hitler comparison, from Jemele Hill to daily.kos, has got to stop. And why in the hell would she hate the Celtics? Weren't they the first NBA team to break the color barrier? If not, they certainly were the first major sports professional franchise to hire a black coach. And, as has been pointed out in blogs, the current members of the team are pretty much stand-up guys. Not like they went on trial for rape or anything (coughKobecough).

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not that she needs my help, or that it means a hill of beans, but I've defended her all the way, and think she has a chance to develop into something really, really good.

That said, the Hitler/Gorby reaches were terrible stretches. A moment of self-editing should have curbed that urge . . . and since that obviously didn't happen, someone else should have stepped in and stopped the insanity. Bad job, all around.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It shows incredible hubris for Jemele to make that statement and then not stand up and apologize herself.

It also shows horrendous lack of judgment on ESPN's part to let that column run with the offensive wording.

Criminal.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080614

Here is the column in its edited form. Not her best even with the really bad judgement edited out. The Hitler reference was absolutely out of line, and it is not the first time her fingers have gotten ahead of her brain. She and the editors both deserve some blame, but F_T is correct. Hill should make her own apology for this one.

Of course, Hondo didn't even bother to read the column before he started the thead. Otherwise, he wouldn't have to ask why Hill hates the Celtics.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree it was a poor choice of words. Didn't go near far enough, dammit!

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I realize Jemele has a lot of defenders on this board but I believe this illustrates the fact that she's too inexperienced to be at such a major outlet. This terrible lack of judgment was made by someone compelled to write about a series SHE IS COVERING but couldn't come up with something better than this. Yech.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is one area you never put a "than" in front of or use in a simile or a metaphor and that is the Holocaust or anything to do with it.

The U.S. Steel reference decades ago was much better.

Rooting for the Celtics is like rooting for George Clooney to find a good looking woman to date.

...like rooting for Donald trump to get another tv show.

...feeling sorry for someone on The Hills.

...hoping Charles Barkley has enough disposable income.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure your last one works. I'm worried about Charles.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I did rethink that one.

I think (hope) Jordan set him up with a good accountant.

I hope so.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I find it fascinating that a columnist who made a major issue of LeBron's Vogue cover--racist image of monstrous black athlete, King Kong to Gisele's Fay Wray-- would then use a Hilter reference to make a not-so-clever and really pointless 'joke.'

I've seen her a few times lately on that First Take show (former Cold Pizza), she is really good on TV....better than she is in print. I would not be surprised if that's where she ends up, ala Rachel N.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the thread title be, "ESPN apologizes for Jemele Hill column"?

Because Jemele didn't apologize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.