1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jelenic resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by penguin, Oct 12, 2007.

1. SwingAndAMiss

SwingAndAMiss New Member

If you work for him, you're a yes man. However, there are plenty of yes men who had been yes men for survival under Jel-dick .... I'd venture to say that anyone with half a brain cell and healthy hubris would look at the stock price and think, "Hmm. I could become a real hero if I actually ran this place like a business and figured out a way to revive both the stock and the morale."

But maybe that's giving corporate schmucks too much credit.

2. lapdog

lapdog Member

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/connecticut/ny-bc-ct--journalregister-c1012oct12,0,4737092.story

Sob sob. Touching.

Here's another "inspirational" man who "really loved" his "company."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

JRC online revenue up 23%.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

JRC is NOT salvageable. Read the Yahoo message board for more details. The company has too much debt; it is not going to survive in anything remotely resembling its current form.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

p.s. Jelenic's severance package included $4.7 million in cash.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can buy a turbocharged casket, with that.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

$4.7 mil on top of a decent salary and other benefits. I was raised to never speak ill of the dead, but I do think it would be a good rule of thumb for everyone to live their life with the thought that what they did, good and bad, would end up on a page 1 obit on the New York Times. Think about the first graphs of some of these folks: Trump (you're fired), Clinton (impeach), Al Gore (former VP, Nobel), Murdoch (FOX), Scooter Libby (felon), Cheney (VP shot friend in face), Bush (War in Iraq), Nixon (Watergate), Oprah (rich as hell), Steinbrenner (see Trump), Helmsley (bitch), Conrad Black (convict), Duke Cunningham (corrupt congressman/john), Don Imus (Rutgers), Martha Stewart (ex-con homemaker), etc. and figure out what you don't want to be remembered for and don't do crap like that. Instead try and make the world a better place. We make choices every day of our lives that shape us and the world around us. We're either making it better or we're making it worse. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family and those negatively impacted by his management.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The papers don't survive because people can't think of life without them. They survive because of an insane passion to run up debt to keep the paper going, or in the case of the Trentonian, because its Bob's hometown paper and he doesn't want to see it go under no matter what the cost.

Something nice about the man -- he was a devoted father who demanded perfection from those at one of his papers that covered his kids' teams. Anything less than perfection (like spelling a teammate's name wrong) wasn't good enough.

Never worked for the man or at one of his papers, but can't see wishing cancer or death on anyone.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What made the thought in graf 2 not so friggin' nice is how anal the man was about it.
    No matter how irrelevant the competition, if any of his kids were in any stupid hockey game, it was going to be covered, and . . . you're right . . . god help you if you f'd it up.

"Roasted Nuts" . . . great.

Screw up the spelling of the name of some sniveling little friend of some rich kid, and you
    got raked.

Hasta la vista, baby.

. . . and, of course, the town DOES have a second paper . . . though it's hilarious that they're so anxious to sidestep consumer identification with the state capitol that they go out of their way to refer to themselves as a paper of the Princeton region, rather than daring to speak the actual name of the city in which they're based . . .

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

When did the competition switch marketing ploys from calling themselves the paper of the capital region to the paper of the Princeton region? That would be like a state college trying to disassociate itself from the capital and changing its name from Trenton State College, to something hideous like The College of New Jersey.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Capitol region is right. I stand corrected.

I hadn't seen one, in a while, but that's no excuse.

Draft saved Draft deleted