1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman on Ricky Bell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What ever happened to Jimbo Elrod or Rod Shoate? We need articles on
    them post haste.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Please, bitch, let's see a 34-years-later feature on Jack Youngblood and the Super Bowl he started a broken leg with.

3. Boom_70

Complete with x rays of his leg as proof.

Too late now since he's passed but there should have been a story at least every other year on George Sauer.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would like to check in on Lynn Dickey every 18 months or so. He always battled for the Packers.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I finally got around to reading the story and thought it was excellent. I was actually sort of a captive audience for this story because, as a kid in SoCal, I first started following college football around 1976, when Bell was the starting TB for USC, and he became one of my first favorite players. I remember how shocked I was when I heard he died, because I didn't know how sick he was. I get a little perturbed by Pearlman at times, but he did a fantastic job on this.

Have one question, though, on the whole Dorsett-Bell thing, as I wasn't too familiar with the NFL pre-draft stuff back then: Obviously, picking Bell over TD never looked good on face value, but, as stated earlier in this thread, Dorsett indicated to the Seahawks that he didn't want to play for them, which brought the trade of the No. 2 pick to Dallas. If Dorsett was willing to play hardball with Seattle to force a trade of the pick to a better team, wouldn't he have tried the same thing if he knew he would be drafted by a team that just went 0-14 and pretty much established themselves as the most inept team of all time? Would Tampa Bay have ever signed Dorsett even if they picked him over Bell?

Perhaps those on this board who are more familiar the situation can shed some light.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it was an issue. Tampa was pretty clear that they were taking Bell. That prompted Dorsett to have his lawyer to send a letter to Seattle saying he didn't want to play for them, and they'd be best advised to trade the pick before the draft. There was never any doubt that Bell and Dorsett were going to be 1 and 2. I am guessing Dorsett didn't want to play for Tampa either, but it would have been harder to try to strongarm two teams into not drafting you without any leverage.

7. Boom_70

They could do a broken leg series. Add in Tim Crumrie not Theisman though because
    he always finds a way to get in the news.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You want x-rays, Boom?

Boom!

[​IMG]

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810a6bd4/Top-10-Gutsiest-Performances-Jack-Youngblood

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Boom_70

I would like current x - rays but that will do. Fantastic.Complete with John Facenda.
    Makes me long for that era of The NFL.

I was lucky enough to meet Youngblood a few years ago and he looked like he could still play. No limp so his leg must have healed.

Brings to mind the need for a story on Jim Youngblood ( no relation)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I know this comment was probably tongue in cheek but I watched them at Oklahoma so you got me thinking so I googled them.

Shoate died at age 46 after a history of drug problems and spending some time in jail.

http://newsok.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-ou-great-rod-shoate-another-drug-casualty-makes-many-ask-why/article/2673242/?page=2

Elrod has apparently stayed out of jail despite arrests for car theft and drug possession and has a talk show in Oklahoma.

11. Boom_70

Somewhat tongue and cheek but I too followed that OK team. Rod Shoate was one of many dominant players on that team. Came
    across an article that reads as sad if not sadder than the Ricky Bell story. Shoate ended up dieing of AIDs.

http://newsok.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-ou-great-rod-shoate-another-drug-casualty-makes-many-ask-why/article/2673242

12. Boom_70

Ok Defensive stats from '73
    G Solo A T
    Rod Shoate lb 11 71 55 126
    David Smith lb 11 48 58 106
    Lucious Selmon dt 11 57 36
    Dewey Selmon dt 11 42 42 84
    Gary Baccus dl 11 43 24 67
    Mike Struck de 11 36 28 64
    LeRoy Selmon dt 11 37 20 57
    Randy Hughes s 11 32 16 48