1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman finds Sports by Brooks, scraps article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

studthug12, Songbird and swingline like this.
  4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

About halfway thru ...

"He lacked the self-deprecation gene, and took his website excruciatingly serious."

... is Pearlman talking about Melchior or himself?

In fact the more I read the more I think Pearlman and Melchior are brothers from different mothers.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

JP has a self-deprecation gene. He just takes it very seriously.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Man this thread was quite the trip down SJ memory lane. Saw at least one poster who no longer posts here posting under two different names.

As for the story, I read it, and it was really interesting and well-written, but without a payoff, Jeff's editor was right, there was no real story. It was endlessly fascinating how this guy just disappeared, and Jeff did a really good job of painting a portrait*** of his rise and the peak SBB days. It's really, really interesting that Brooks looked to be navigating a BLOGGSSSSSSSSSSS/Simmons path--went to a well-heeled prep school, made a name for himself with laser intensity and desire to escape the small time and then figured out a way to circumvent the mainstream and make the big time mainstream on his terms--except at some point Brooks clearly developed a soul and a conscience and a disdain for the vacuous bullshit that made him famous. If the guy disappeared without a trace, there's got to be a good reason for it. If the story is ever told, I imagine it'll be by Brooks on his terms.

***I am not one of Jeff's screen names here.

Songbird likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Pearlman spells Melchior's name at least three different ways in that piece.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Is Jeff stll wearing Kangol hats?

Woody Long likes this.
  11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I read the sub stack yesterday and was going to link it. I found it underwhelming. Slightly reminded me of the SI article sometime in the 80s where the author tracked down Bobby Fisher and just watched him walk into the library.

Pearlman said he edited some sensitive stuff out of the article. I wonder if some of it relates to the climax? Originally he said he has tracked down Brooks, and in this article he really didn’t. I’m wondering if there was private info beyond mental health he protected.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not entirely clear on why he'd post the story at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted