1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman calls University of Delaware racist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 20, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Delaware Stadium seats 22,000?
    Shit, I didn't think there were 22,000 people in Delaware.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

They were abducted while driving through.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They even sell out sometimes! Actually, they're around the top of the I-AA teams in terms of fanbase, attendance, and the like. The fanbase is really rabid and the school is right there really on the line between I-A and I-AA.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They missed their time to move up. With Rutgers now getting the South Jersey and southeastern Pennsylvania kids who would've considered going to UDel, it's a moot point. Maryland's brief resurgence also would not have helped.

Ten years ago, if they would've said they were moving up, they would have been OK. Probably could've swiped some kids away from Penn State, too. (They have gotten a transfer or two from there, kids like Joel Holler and such.)

5. Flying Headbutt

Their current QB is a transfer from Pitt. But they did the right thing by now moving up. It would have killed them.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't know if I agree, totally. Would've had some geographic rivalries there to get a couple sure non-league games each year (Navy, Temple, Rutgers). Philly market would've been very kind to UDel. Heck, if they had moved up 10 years ago, they could maybe even be in a South Florida-type situation and be a full-fledged Big East member.

Again, it's all moot. And it's better for them to be where they are than to languish as an also-ran in whatever conference (C-USA?) they'd be in.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nothin else to fuckin do there.

It's UDee sports or the Cracker Barrel.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh don't get me wrong, the Cracker Barrel in the shadow of the Delaware Memorial Bridge is a fine place to eat.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Unless NASCAR is at Dover.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Maybe this is why UD won't play DSU:

DOVER, Del. (AP) - Two students were shot at Delaware State University early Friday, including one who was seriously wounded, and the campus was locked down as police searched for a gunman, officials said. Classes were canceled for the day.

A male student was hospitalized in stable condition, and a female student was hospitalized with injuries that are considered serious, according to a news release on the university’s Web site.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

And yes, I'm aware this is a d-b from another board.

12. Flying Headbutt

You'd find a whole lot more crime near the UD campus, though it ain't like Dover is the dream destination of careers. You don't have to go far back to remember the three football players who robbed a walkon teammate of money and steroids in his apartment in Newark. Or the female student who was raped and killed in her off-campus apartment a few months before that.

And BYH is a tad bitter about Delaware methinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted