1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman/9-11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CHETtheJET, Sep 23, 2009.

1. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jeff_pearlman/09/11/ugolyn/

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is odd.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's odd about it?

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Posting messages and creating threads http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/help/terms Please take the time to put some thought and substance into your posts/replies. SportsJournalists.com is a place for professionals and wants to maintain a favorable reputation in the industry. Take some pride in what you're writing and you'll help to solidify that reputation. “Lazy” posts will not be tolerated and may results in warnings/suspensions. Examples of these posts include, but are not limited to: Starting a thread where the body is just a link (offer your opinion, some substance, etc., not just a link); Copying and pasting stories without some form of analysis or comment (make sure you have something to offer if you are going to start a thread).

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in what's odd about the story.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

I don't find it odd, but I don't think the writer successfully explained why that story was "by far" his "most meaningful" work.

He attempted to explain when he wrote, "...it carries meaning because of the lessons I've learned from Tyler's father."

OK. But what lessons? That the father went from depressed to hopeful? That dedicating basketball courts gave his son's life meaning? It's a relief to know that the gesture provided solace to the family and made city kids happy... but I'm just a little surprised that given the writer's experience (4,000+ articles), that that alone was enough to make it the most meaningful thing he's written.

I was expecting more. And there probably IS more. The writer just didn't go far enough to persuade me, the average reader.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D I think CHETtheJET deserves a suspension-- or at least a warning for this. That kind of laziness cannot and WILL NOT be tolerated here.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And don't forget, "always post pics"

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted