1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff MacGregor on why expanding the Big 10 is stupid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I see the above criticisms (and praises) falling right along the predictable political fault lines. Nothing new under the sun.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's just a stupid fucking post. The column is well-written, but doesn't make a good argument. Only one person seems to be making it political.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Problem is, it doesn't really tell us WHY the Big Ten expanding is a crime, except perhaps against nostalga. It's great to draw the analogy to fat Americans McMansions and Starbucks and Walmart, but in what ways are they similar, other than their eyes towards getting bigger?

And what traditions are getting frittered away? You might not play everyone in the conference every season? You're already not doing that. Tradition of not having a conference title game? I'm confused.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just an observation. You don't have go all Laz Diaz.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the point is that too often entities getting bigger makes everyone think that as a result they will automatically get better.

But the bigger things have gotten, whether in business, life, or sports, the quest for getting actually better has diminished because of the assumption that bigger is better.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

If he had written an ode to a hamburger, it would have made more sense. There is no THERE there in this column. There is no meat, aside from "Big Ten expansion bad because Big Ten good as is."

Just a lot of pretty words signifying nothing.

And it's a shame to see how many find value in that.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Which would be a fine component to a grander argument that he teases but never delivers. Adding a team isn't a panacea (just ask ACC followers), but it doesn't follow that expanding means the end of the innocence, either.

Sound and fury, signifying nothing new.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if the argument is FOR tradition, I just don't see the Big 10 conference needing a handout anytime soon, yet money and late season exposure seem to be the prime motivations for expanding. They could easily do what the Pac 10 has done and shifted back some of their games into December. Dump the stupid ban on night games after October. Schedule some "big" games in their big stadiums early on. The Pac 10 and the Big East were both "in the mix" without championship games.
    And having a Diet Pepper promotion at halftime isn't really all that.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I like that sentence much more than the one it's describing.

Just because you can string together a lot of big words, that doesn't mean you should.

Not to mention the thinly veiled race-based imagery present in that sentence. All it's missing is a reference to 'athletic' running backs.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Simple it's Jeff being Jeff. Always the anti establishment guy.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How is this piece anti-establishment?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

On second thought, I would like to read Jeff's take on tuna casserole. I was too quick to dismiss it earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted