1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Kent to be on Survivor Philippines -- Season 25 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Aug 20, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny watching the people returning. I think the perception was when the season started that they might have won the thing if not for their medical issues. Now, seems pretty clear none of them can get out of their own way and they would have been voted off anyway. Penner is an ass, Skupin is a menace to himself and Russell is writing checks his body can't cash because he has a martyr complex.
    Kent has been a surprise the way he's played - low key and not stirring the pot. Team Russell made the right move dumping Angie - I figure Russell would be a bigger asset down the line once the shake-up happens. Seems likely Angie would just find another snuggle-buddy.

2. DanOregon

I thought the three tribe thing was a great way to encourage more cross-alliances, I think I'm going to be proven wrong.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The two left on the loser tribe seem to be smart, capable players.
    Good riddance to Russell. What a jackass.
    The kid's trick of planting the clue on the other was pretty slick.
    I think this is going to be interesting the rest of the way.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can even go the route of the first Survivor and pick three others and keep it a secret. Part of the reason that one worked so well, aside from having nothing to compare it to was because Richard Hatch picked three people who nobody would assume would be working with him, at least not initially... While the Chilltown alliance was pretty smart, if memory serves, Boogie got voted off fairly early...

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I think Denise became one of my all-time faves last night. She was the only woman playing in a pretty physical immunity challenge in which the two other tribes sat all their women, and she was nails - if she had been throwing the stone at the end... Also love the fact that she's a sex therapist among a bunch of hardcore Christians.
    Something's probably up with Kent's knee next week (there's been some foreshadowing). We get a visit from the medical boat. Too bad - for a guy I had a lot of pre-dislike for, he showed me something hooking up with Penner and bringing Carter into the alpha male alliance.
    God, thank you for ensuring Russell Swan will be the hell off my TV next Wednesday.

6. DanOregon

I don't know if it's Kent though - they only pull you if it is life threatening. A bad knee wouldn't qualify.

7. Mizzougrad96

You mean they might have exagerrated a teaser for next week? No....

Not saying they did, but it's certainly possible... I just remember the teaser the season when Boston Rob won it when we saw the ads all week that made it look like he was going to quit.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm kind of rooting for Malcom and the sex therapist at this point, in part because I just feel bad for them. You go all the way out there and get stuck on one of the shittiest tribes in the game? That's bad luck. They seem like competent players and they had a good, buried alliance. Too bad it had to be exposed so quickly. It would have been much more potent if they had loud mouth Russell out front and the little relationship with Angie as cover.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Not saying Russell would have won, but he was in a great position that season, and his departure was the first thing to really get the Russell Hantz ball rolling. Hantz was on the losing tribe up to that point, but pulled some magic and took control.

I do think it was strange the way this Russ kept saying "I was willing to die for this game!" as if he made the choice to collapse, or as if he stayed in the game afterward.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Russ Swan was not in a good position to win during his initial season. Despite his apparent strength, he sucked at challenges that season, too.
    That was the season during which the teams had to officialy name a leader. The better players made Swan the leader because they knew he wanted it and because it would keep them out of the spotlight. Swan proceeded to act like a blowhard, just like this season.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm rooting for Skupin, but this season has been a bit of a bore so far, not that that's uncommon with this show. So much focus has been on Russell's tribe, for obvious reasons, that we really haven't seen too much from the other tribes.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

They should have just let this tribe stay together until it dies....which would have been in two weeks. But obviously there's a merger. They had to be considering the possibility as the show was produced that they could reach a situation with the one-person tribe, which loses a challenge, then the tribe member has to vote himself out! lol. Kent's knee injury sure has been hidden too. The history of this show has one person complaining early about not being able to make it, then suddenly finds the will to go on. Yawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted