1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Jarvis: The days of "inflated paychecks" for journalists are over

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendy Parker, May 21, 2009.

1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I think what happens in situations like this is people think of the salaries of top columnists and assume that other newspaper folk are paid handsomely as well.

Personally, I think the top columnists should have been the second to get a pay cut (first going to the moronic CEOs and high end business folk who earn way more than they are worth). The pay disparity between a desker and a high-end columnist at the same paper is ridiculous, yet the columnist is only as good as he/she is because the desker spends 3 hours fixing the hot-shot's column so it's actually readable.

Ugh.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Answer: He's telling his billion-dollar bosses exactly what they want to hear. It's called sucking up.

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

This guy is a piece of work. No wonder he doesn't think fondly of journalists, because he doesn't seem interested in checking out facts. My dad worked for a metro newspaper all throughout my childhood, and we were by no means well off.

He worked long hours, missed important family events and, all because he thought (and was) doing a service for people in our community. This Jarvis is a fool, with few redeemable qualities as far as I can tell. When it comes to him, it's a shame, as they say, you can't buy class.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Obviously Mr. Jarvis never worked for the Tiffin Advertiser-Tribune. [/crossboarding]

5. It's been nearly a week, and he can still bite me.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Most of us knew full well, going in, that this is on balance the worst-paying profession, by plenty.

Don't need added abuse by being exposed to dribble spewed by pusfaces, on top of it.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if by inflated paychecks he meant the $23,400 I made at a 20,000 daily my first job or the $10 per hour under the table I made working on the side for a friend who was a contractor and was kind enough to give me 15 hours of work per week as a laborer, just so I could feed my family...... ::)

8. You think he's even AWARE of how you and all the rest of us started?
    (Off-topic, zag, but TNT's running three vintage L&O's every Saturday morning between 8-11 EDT. Last week, there was the racist shotgun killer with James Earl Jones as his lawyer. And Ben Stone!)

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Quinton Tarantino at the diner.

10. JackS

JackS Member

Here's the funny thing...

In person, Jeff is a pretty self-deprecating guy.

11. Deprecating is way down my list of what he can do to himself.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Maybe so . .. but he should have thought out how this would play with the broad
    journo population before setting this down. Close cover before striking, and all that.

If he simply didn't give a shit . . . that's not to his credit. Not a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted