1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Jacobs carves up Pat Summitt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jun 12, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I agree with Jacobs, but yes, that was way too long. I'm sure it played well in Connecticut though, which is all that matters to his editors. As for the sourcing of it, I'm pretty sure he had it right. Jacobs is a good reporter and writer. Good enough to know you don't write that column unless you know you're sourcing is spot on. Plus, it's not a stretch to think his sourcing came from the WWL, which is just up the road from Hartford. He even mentions their head of programming, Carol Stiff, so you know he's done his homework.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm sorry Dragon, but what sourcing?

Tennesse pulled out of the game.. common knowledge.
    Summitt won't say why...common knowledge.
    No sourcing here just and endless homerish rant

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's Diana Taurasi. Maybe a picture will help:
    [​IMG]

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I remember correctly, it ended for two years with both sides agreeing. it wasn;t like it ended with no hope of being resurrected. I think Notre Dame wanted to take a two-year break -- and scheduled Ohio State in its place.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or Nykisha Holdsclaw.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The column is over-the-top and poorly written.

The innuendo that Summitt has dropped a dime on Geno for recruiting violations is unfair.

The idea that the schools will now be forced to play other teams is dated -- both schools (particularly Tennessee) ALREADY play Texas, Duke, and the rest of the top schools each year. Not to mention Vandy and LSU 2 or 3 times a season.

But the basic point of the column is correct -- Pat owes us all an explanation. The one I keep hearing indicates it's very personal between the two -- let's just say that Geno was using Pat's recent divorce to his recruiting advantage.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pat and Geno are both outsized egos who are the icons of their demimonde. It's not surprising this happened.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt that and I think Jeff played to his audience rather than try to get to the bottom of something that might back up into his own backyard.

9. BTExpress

"It's personal" is a fine enough explanation --- one we all know to be pretty much the truth --- even if it is never actually verbalized.

And since Summitt has beaten Geno three times in a row, she's in a position of strength to end it without dealing with stupid accusations that she's a coward (which is off-the-charts nuts to anyone who has seen her team's schedule for, oh, the past 25 years).

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow, it's interesting Pat's doing this. They're bound to meet in the tournament, and when that happens it will draw a lot of attention because of this. Even more than if they'd met during the regular season. Maybe Pat's crazy like a fox.

11. BTExpress

I wouldn't say they are "bound" to meet. At least not with any degree of regularity.

Historically they only meet in the championship game. That could change, but with each a perennial No. 1 or No. 2 seed, they typically see each other in the tournament only once every 4-5 years.

12. Can't help but think the WWL is none-too-pleased with this development either. I'd imagine the Tennessee-UConn game is probably their highest-rated (and most hyped) women's hoop game every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted